Forty Four

Bucky

"So what do I do? Just give it to her?"

Steve laughed,"Not if you still want her to marry you."

"You're probably right." I cracked a smile then frowned. "But I can't take her into public. Someone could see me. Especially drawing attention by proposing. Maybe we could just dinner in the apartment like last time." I zoned out and thought about what to do.

Steve smiled.

"What?" I asked.

"I know a guy who may be willing to help. Let me get in touch with him and I'll get back to you."

"Steve. You're doing too much. I can figure it out. I'll find a way to do this. You don't need to help."

"I want to. You're my best friend. And I love Penny. I want her to be happy too. Let me do this for you guys Buck." He paused,"You'd do the same."

"Damn right I would."

Steve cracked a smile,"Exactly. Let me see what I can do and I'll call you later.

"Thanks Steve."

After Steve left I went back inside.

"You were gone for a while." Penny's sweet voice said from the kitchen.

I hastily tucked the ring into my hoodie pocket and entered the kitchen.

Penny was getting a glass of water.

How did she look so beautiful doing such simple things?

She smiled up at me.

"Where's the mail?"

My jaw dropped.

"Dammit. I left it. I was walking and my mind started wandering and I forgot."

"What were you thinking about?" She asked.

"You."

Her beautiful eyes widened.

"What about me?"

"Just how beautiful you are."

She smiled and blushed.

"Stop it James. You're so silly."

I smiled,"I'm serious Penn. You just don't see what I see."

She rolled her eyes,"Must've been some walk to have you all goo goo eyed."

I laughed,"Only you make me goo goo eyed doll."

She always blushed when I called her that. I loved it.

Ever since the first time at that Chinese place.

"Stop staring at me you weirdo." She joked.

I shrugged,"I can't help it. It's my favorite pastime."

She laughed,"I can tell. I've seen the pictures in your phone ya know."

Now it was my turn to blush.

"Y-you did?"

She nodded.

"Sorry I didn't mean to take so many you're just so-"

She laughed,"I'm not mad silly. It's sweet."

"Really?"

She nodded again,"We should take some more together."

I smiled,"sure." I paused,"How were your sessions?"

"Good, I think they prefer the Skype to in person meetings. It's less confrontational. I have a few more though so I'll be in the room if you need me." She winked and strolled off to the bedroom.