Twelve

"What?" You asked wanting to make sure you heard him correctly.

"Buck and I talked about it when you were asleep. I called your phone but he answered. He told me you aren't doing well." Steve informed.

"I'm fine."

"You aren't fine. That's okay."

You stayed silent.

"Damien won't back down. I know his type. It'll take some time. Buck agreed to be here and keep an eye on him, an eye on you."

"And what if Damien sees him? Damien is a S.H.I.E.L.D agent, Damien knows all about Bucky." You argued.

"I can handle myself." Bucky cut in.

"Please." Steve said softly.

You sighed and turned to Bucky,"You can sleep in the guest room. There's a bed and a dresser for your clothes and stuff if you have any."

"Thanks."

"No, Thank you." You responded. "You know you don't have to do this."

"Yes we do."

"Why?"

"You're a good person Penelope. You deserve to be safe and comfortable especially in your own home."

You smiled,"Thanks. I gotta run into the office for a second and grab my mail and stuff."

"Yeah sure." Bucky said. "I'll just be here. Making sure Damien doesn't try anything."

You grabbed your bag and headed out the door.

You quickly rushed to your car and pulled off hoping Damien hadn't seen you.

You drove to your office downtown, ran into the building, and grabbed your mail.

Since the building was almost closed there was one around.

You flipped through your mail before placing it in the bag and heading home.
------------

Once you got back to your apartment Bucky was laid out in the couch watching tv.

When he heard the door close he sat up abruptly.

"You can relax Bucky. Lay on whatever furniture you want. You live here too now." You paused and put your purse down,"But if you break it you buy it."

He gave a laugh,"I'll remember that. How are you doing?"

"Man I wish you guys would stop asking me that."

"Well you try to play it off like everything is okay so if we don't ask we wouldn't know."

"Maybe I dont want anyone to know."

"Why are you so adamant on putting up a front?" He asked standing to his feet.

"Because I just am. I'm not weak. I dont want people to think I am."

"No one thinks you're weak,"He fought back.

"Because I'm good at hiding it!" You yelled.

Bucky stayed silent as if he was holding his tongue.

You sighed.

"I'm sorry." You admitted.

He nodded,"I know. I'm not mad. I just wished you'd see it from a different perspective."

You sat on the couch.

"Steve left?" You asked finally.

"Yeah, about 20 minutes ago."

You nodded silently.

"Anyways, feel free to eat anything. Let me know what kind of foods you like to eat so I can go shopping. Uhhh let me see.." You paused to think,"Oh! There's only one bathroom and it's the one in my room. You can put your toiletries in there. Oh and I'll keep my bedroom door unlocked in case you need to tinkle in the middle of the night."

He raised an eyebrow,"Tinkle?"

"You know. Potty."

"Potty?"

"Erm. Use the toilet." You looked away.

He gave a light laugh,"I knew what you meant the first time."

You smiled,"Jerk."

The room fell silent,"Anyways it's almost 8 so I'm gonna take a shower you can go after me."

You hopped off of the sofa and walked over to the bathroom.

Taking off your clothes you stared at yourself in the mirror.

You could see why Damien cheated.
You could definitely stand to lose a few pounds.
Your stretch marks didn't help either. Nor did your cellulite.

You clenched your teeth and fought tears as you turned away from the reflection and climbed into the shower.
-----------------------
Three months later..

"So what has you all cheery and ready to go home?" Tiffany asked as you all were tidying up the office.

"It's Friday." You paused,"I'm always happy to go home on Friday."

"Well yeah but you seem extra happy." Greg added.

You rolled your eyes,"You guys are always looking for a story. Should be journalists instead if you ask me." You mumbled.

Greg gasped,"What's his name?"

You placed the stack of magazines on the table. "Who's name?" You cluelessly asked.

"The guy you're seeing duh." Tiff chimed in.

You groaned,"Guys. I haven't dated or even thought about dating a guy since Damien cheated on me. I can't even think about opening up after that. Two years down the drain. It's painful. Now he's stalking me. It's died down recently but still terrifying."

"I know. And if I see his stupid face again I'm going to choke him out. But you can't punish every guy because of him. He's one asshole in a sea of lots of other assholes but also lots of really nice guys. You just have to weed em out." Tiffany consoled. Well, kinda.

"I'm sure there's a guy out there wishing you'd give him a chance. A guy who won't hurt you, cheat on you, or lie to you. A real gentleman." Greg said.

"I don't know guys." You sighed.

"Take a chance,"He added. "You aren't getting any younger." He joked.
-----------------------

You pulled your jacket off of your body and placed it on the coat rack.

"Any sign of him today?" You asked Bucky as he sat in front of the television watching the news.

"No." He answered quickly.

"Great, I finally feel relaxed its been almost a week since I saw his stupid face. I thin-"

"Penny." Bucky interjected. "I think you should see this." He said pointing to the words breaking news flashing across the screen.