Chapter 40 Sophie's POV

Fitz and I smiled as we walked inside, still holding hands. I grabbed two packs of Pratles, and hurried upstairs, but halted when I heard a bing. I turned around to see Fitz shrug. We walked back down the stairs cautiously only to find a floating scroll.

It says to open in ten minutes.

"GRADY! EDALINE! THE COUNCIL HAS GIVEN US A SCROLL!" I yell, my voice echoing throughout the room.

I see Grady's face peak over the side of the railing.

"Oh! I'll be down, DON'T PEAK, SOPHIE!" He says last minute. I hear the thud thud thud, of him running down the stairs.

He looks at it, "Wonder what's this about," He mumbles.

"Maybe Foxfire has a fungus infection and we're out for a week?" I ask hopefully.

"Fat chance kiddo," He chuckled, rumpling my hair.

Grady runs outside and yells at Edaline to come inside.

"What's going on? Sophie are you hurt? Le--"

"It's just a scroll," Grady smiles, I blush bright red from embarrassment.

~~~

10 minutes later

Grady rips open the scroll, and his eyes scan the ruins. His face falls.

He clears his throat before he speaks, "Um, they've decided that Keefe, has um, passed," Grady sniffles.

Anger sears through me, "WHAT? They haven't even gathered enough information! I haven't even been able to search through everyone's thoughts! So what the thing collapsed! That doesn't mean he wasn't able to escape!"

"Sophie, I know this doesn't seem fair or right, but this is Keefe. If he escaped he would have let us know by now," Grady saws solemnly.

"Yeah, but what if he's captured?" I retort, throwing my hands up in defeat.

"Then he would've transmitted," Grady sighs.

"Not if he's drugged or if they put a restrictor on his head!" I sigh.

"Sophie, they're going to plant his wanderling in a few minutes, and they'd like you, Biana, Fitz, Dex, Lihn, and Tam to say a few words. Can you just be respectful, please?" Grady pleads. I groan and stomp upstairs.

Edaline trails behind and grabs a green dress that's crazy fancy. I shake my head no, but she gives me a stern look. I sigh and slip it on.

My hair is put back in an up down look

My hair is put back in an up down look. Edaline puts tiny white flowers in it. I sigh and start writing what a I'm going to say.

~~~

I'm greeted by the familiar sign.

Those who wander are not lost.

I sigh, and walk through, I'm met by Fitz and Biana, whose eyes are red and puffy. I refuse to cry.