Chapter 42 Sophie's POV

"The ability I'm going to get rid of is..." I sigh, taking in all the oxygen I'd soon need. What ability could I get rid of? It's like tearing apart of me away. It seems like I need all of them, but I can't have all of them.

"Miss. Foster, we are waiting!" Bronte sighs in irritation. A sad smile captures my face.

"I think I'm going to need some more time to think about it," I clasp my hands together and start to walk inside when I gasp.

Hey Foster, don't have much time to chat, but if you fight fire with fire, no matter what someone will burn.

Keefe.

Keefe! Are you okay? Where are you? Are you hurt? Where are you!

He doesn't respond. I'm shaking and then I feel someone holding me tight. They grab something and hold it under my nose and I float like a balloon. I'm soaring high into the sky, until I plunge into the darkness below.

~~~

"Is she awake?"

"I don't think so,"

"Her abilities?"

"Partially, but mostly because of shock and fear." 

I slowly open my eyes and stare intently into the eyes around me. Grady was holding Edaline by the door frame. Elwin sat in a chair by my bed looking at a screen that held my vitals.

I pulled myself up into a sitting position.

"So, what happened out there kiddo?" Elwin asked, turning away from the blue hazy screen.

"Um, Keefe transmitted to me," I gulp. Elwin looks to Grady and Edaline and then back to me.

"And what did he say?" Elwin asks, his eyebrows creasing.

I sigh and plop back down against the pillows, "He said Hey Foster, don't have much time to chat, but if you fight fire with fire, no matter what someone will burn."

Elwin looks back to the door and then at me.

"I am not crazy, I swear he transmitted to me," I mumble.

"Sophie, remember how Fitz delt with the grief of the lost of his father?" Elwin asks gently.

"He got angry at the world and blamed it on everyone," I say glumly.

"Well, sometimes people deal with it where they totally ignore the fact that something happened. Basically there mind and body tricks them into thinking that nothing has changed so then they don't have to bear the loss of someone they love--"

"So you think I imagined what happened," I sigh.

"Sophie,--"

"No it's fine. You're probably right. I'm tired so, I'm going to crash," I say. I roll over onto my side towards the wall.

I hear a collective of sighs and soon footsteps exiting my room. I fold into a ball. The bed sinks and someone is rubbing my back.

"Do you think I'm crazy?" I ask softly.

"No, I just think you're in an impossible situation," I hear Edaline say.

"Do you think Keefe really transmitted to me?" I ask, but it sounds like a plea.

"It's possible. Keefe is brave, smart, and strong. He thinks well on his feet, so if he showed up with a black eye on my doorstep, I wouldn't be so shocked," Edaline whispers and plays with my hair.