17

I jumped up in my bed at the sound of the front door opening. I looked at my phone and saw it was coming up on 3 in the morning. I had been back inside after talking to Shannon and had somehow fallen asleep.

I got out of bed and opened my bedroom door seeing my mother climbing the stairs with an unreadable expression.

She took a glance at me and I frowned at the sight of her red, glossy eyes.

Her wiped her face sniffing. "Why aren't you in bed Justine?"

I shrugged and traveled down the steps to her. "What's wrong?"

I felt a burning feeling my chest just knowing bad news was coming.

My mother shook her head looking away momentarily. "Come in the kitchen." She spoke turning around.

"Just tell me, Is she okay?" I raised my voice losing my patience.

Just then the front door opened, showcasing my father.

He glanced at us before he turned his back closing the door. All three of us stood in silence as he placed his jacket on the couch.

"Why you ain't in the bed?" He spoke glancing at me.

"Is Bri okay?" I asked feeling a lump form in my throat.

"She's fine." My mother spoke finally turning on the kitchen light. I followed behind her confused.

"Well then what's wrong?" I pushed. My father had ascended up the steps quietly, leaving me and her alone once again.

She sat at the counter reaching above and grabbing a bottle of alcohol. She took the bottle pouring some into a shot glass.

"She's pregnant." She blurted out, her voice cracking.

"That sick bitch got my baby pregnant!" She cried slamming her fist down on the counter.

I leaned against the wall holding my hands against my mouth in shock. I came to my senses as she cried out louder.

"Lord have mercy!" She cried lifting her hands to the sky. "Why lord? Why!"

I rushed to her and held her in my arms tightly.

She cried inter her hands and for ten minutes we sat there in silence. Me trying my best to console her, and her yelling out hateful slurs.

"What are we gonna do?" I spoke softly, my face glistening from the countless tears I had shed.

She shrugged sniffing softly. "It's up to Bri at this point."

"Does she know?" I asked facing her. I wiped her face seeing her makeup was ruined.

She shook her head no and her eyes began to water again. "I don't even want to tell her." She cried.

I hugged her and rocked us and back and forth.

After spending virtually the entire night in the kitchen, I had learned Bri was coming home the next day.

Even though the police officers had showed up to the hospital everyday to discuss what happened, she refused to say anything.

I was anxious to see her but also scared. I knew she would be the same and I hated that this happened to her.

Part of me thinks I could have done more to keep her from getting in that car. I could've fought more or just put up more of a fight.

And that was the thing.

I never had much fight in me. I sort of throw things in the back of my mind thinking everything's okay and that it'll blow over.

I'm scared she'll hate me for not protecting her, as a sister should.