Chapter 1

When cats are about to die they run away. It's kind of like that with people too. When we think we are going to die we run away, or at least we attempt to run away. Death comes no matter what; it's just a matter of not getting attached. No one wants to hurt the person they love.

"Honestly Ella, go do something!"

"Fine I'll go to the doctors." I record the middle to watch later. "Don't delete the middle."

My Mom rolls her eyes at me.

I suffered from ALL, a type of cancer that basically makes your life seem a lot shorter, and much more painful. It wasn't fun and games, no one I knew survived their battle with cancer. I wasn't going to survive either. What reason did I have to live? All I had was my parents, and they weren't the mushy type, at least not in front of me.

In the waiting room tons of kids sat. It made me sick to my stomach. The last thing I want was my scan results. They will probably say something like I'll die in a month.

"Ella Brown." A cheerful nurse calls. I walk behind her; she leads me into the maze of rooms. Dr Tewn, a small girl and her mother sat inside.

"Hey Ella, how are you?" He asks. He was an old man, with graying hair, and a large mustache. The small girl had blonde curly hair, and pale skin. Her mother on the other hand had brown limp hair.

"How would you like to be a mentor?" He smiles.

My Mom had volunteered me several years ago. I talked them through cancer, and told them what it was like to die. "Okay, I guess." I nod slowly.

"This is Jenna, she is eight years old, and was diagnosed today."

"Hi Jenna," I say cheerfully.

"Hi." She says quietly.

"I am Jenna's mom; you can call me Mrs Grace if you like." She shakes my hand. "Would you be able to come over tomorrow at three, I know its last minute.” I know this may seem abrupt but we want to get started as soon as possible."

"Yeah, I'm not doing anything tomorrow." I say slowly, saying every syllable.

"Good, here is my phone number, call us to confirm." She says brightly.

"Okay than, see you tomorrow."

When they left I practically demanded my results. “What are my results? When am I dying?”

He shows me where the cancer is, and why it was bad. I didn't understand a single word of it.

"So basically it's worse?" I ask timidly.

"Yeah, if you want to put it like that which I highly suggest you don’t. Your chances of living have decreased, not increased.”

"Lovely way of putting it," I say sarcastically.

"Bye Ella."

I lead myself out, and run for my car. I had stopped going to appointments with my Mom because she started crying. Now all I felt was guilty. She deserved to know, didn't she?

Apparently today the doctor called my Mom; I heard her crying in the kitchen softly. "I don't know what we are going to do. What if she dies?" My Mom whispers. "Jace is no longer here. I can't stand not having her around."

I slam the door loudly, so she knows I'm home.

"Got to go, bye." I assumed she was talking to my dad.

"Hi Mom, I am a mentor!"

"I got the news from the doctor! Good for you!" She smiles.

"I am excited!" I say, not mentioning her call.

"So you are hanging out for the first time tomorrow?”

"Yep,” I respond. My voice was cracking.