Chapter 21

Jenna's birthday was getting closer and closer, she was practically bouncing with excitement. Dustin and I had kept most of her birthday party a surprise. We only mentioned small details, like what she wanted on her cake or the theme.

"I sympathize party planners greatly now." Dustin huffs. 

"Jenna will be happy, and I guess that's all that matters." I smile.

The party would be taking place at the art studio, which we were slowly transforming into the setting of a grand ball. We had brought in great big boards, which would prevent children from ruining the supplies. He let us use the space for free. He claimed it would come out of our paychecks. Although I rarely worked because of me being sick.

"We need to get the cake in thirty minutes, the baker just emailed me." He groans.

"Do you want me to get it? You can stay here."

"Nah, we can go back to your house and eat something." Dustin says.

"Not to mention putting the cake," I hesitate. "Where are we supposed to put this cake?" 

"I think you can just leave on your counter or whatever. I'm not going to dare bring it into my house."

"Cause of Jenna?" I ask.

"Yup, you know she would be looking at the cake the second we brought it in." He says. I stare at him as he hangs ribbons and decorations. 

"Let’s go, I don't want to be late!" I jump up and down.

"Relax El," He gets down from the ladder and kisses me softly.

"Ew that is so nasty kissing your cousin and all!" The bell dings and Lana walks in acting like she owns the place.

"We're closed. So you can get out." I say forcefully. I felt slightly envious of Lana. She had gotten rid of her pigtails and odd clothes and was wearing normal clothes. She looked pretty.

"Dustin, sweetie why don't you go outside?" She says her tone not suggestive.

Dustin says nothing and walks outside. He looked upset. 

"Listen Ella, I don't know what you are thinking. You better break up with Dustin right now. If you don't you'll be sorry." Her tone was no more than a whisper.

"And if you so much as look at my boyfriend you will regret it. Don't underestimate me." I hiss. Anger bubbled into my mouth, she couldn't tell me what to do.

Lana makes a noise and leaves, bubbling over as well. Her long hair flipping as she leaves.

"What did she want?" Dustin asks.

"Nothing, let’s go." I stalk outside. The air smelled of chemicals, and trash.

"Alright, want to get the cake?" He asks, his mood still cheerful.

"Yeah, let’s go." I push my way into the passenger seat, and we drive in absolute silence.

The cake shop was about four blocks from my house. It had pastel pink trimming, and looked like something from a magazine.

It was a hard place not to be happy. You could view a variety of cakes in the window, and test even more inside. 

"Ah, hello Dustin, coming for your cake?" The owner, Mr. Swane says when we walk in. He was a round man with rosy red cheeks, and black hair that was starting to streak gray. 

"Yep, it better look as good as the sketch." Dustin winks.

"I'd say it looks better!" He waddles past a couple picking out a wedding cake and into a kitchen. "Wait here!"