Chapter 19

"Gee, the weather isn't getting any better." Dustin murmurs.

We had gone to the basement after seeing a tornado warning. Everyone in town was panicking. There hadn't been a tornado in forty years, and I'm pretty sure it's no longer tornado season. 

"Yeah, I don't think it's that bad. I got an alert saying it is the lowest type of tornado that can happen. I think it's like when people in Texas get an inch of snow." I say.

"Yeah I guess, although I'd prefer a snow storm." He grumbles. 

"Wouldn't we all, I'm scared that tree in your yard might fall." I confess.

"Nah, it's got thick roots." He says lightly.

I looked over at Jenna, she was still sleeping on a sofa in the corner. She wasn't aware of the storm. All she felt was pain. I could relate. With cancer it was like the worst case of the flu, every day.

"Should I get her water or something?" Dustin asks.

"Gatorade would probably be better." I say. Checking my phone again, it had become a habit. I was worried I might get some terrible message saying my parents were dead or something.

"I'll get her some, and just set it next to her." He says, "You know in case she gets thirsty."

"Her mouth probably feels awful, sores are a side effect to chemo." I mutter. My head pounded. I felt good earlier, but I was slowly beginning to get a fever. Not that there was anything we could do. I was not driving thirty minutes in a tornado. 

Dustin set a bottle of Gatorade next to Jenna, it had a swirly straw and written on it was Cancer doesn't stand a chance! I doubt Jenna would notice, but never the less it was nice.

"Are you feeling okay El?" He sat next to me. I was sitting against the cool wall. Which felt like winter compared to my blistering fever. 

"Oh yeah, I think I'm going to take a little nap." I say slowly. I felt like I was falling into a thunder cloud.

"Uh El, are you sure you’re alright?" Dustin pressed himself against me. His warmth was hot against my even hotter skin.

"Yeah, just need a nap." I shrug, groggily.

I feel hands lift me onto something soft. I drift off after that.

Daylight flooded my eyes. I was in a white sterile room. There was a machine next to me, showing something inside me. My heart beat maybe?

"Hello Ella, how you feeling."

"I'm great, but the question is how you are?" I say chirpily.

"Good, I'm afraid though I'm more concerned about your health." A nurse, with jet black hair, she was plump like a plum, and wore a nurse outfit with cats on it.

"Oh me? Well I think other than being eaten alive by cancer I'm just great. Why am I here?"

"You had a high fever, your boyfriend was concerned about you."

"That's Dustin for you. Well I'm fine, can I go now?"

"You have a cold, so you should be wearing a mask, and you should really stay here." If you have cancer a cold is like death. It was something to do with me getting another version of the cold from someone else. Than basically dying.

"I want to go home, I'm fine!" I yell loudly. I admit I did put off sickness a lot, which made the hospitals staff suspicious.

"We have to wait for Doctor Tewn to give the okay." The nurse shrugs.