Chapter 15

My clothes were flung across my room. My date with Dustin was in exactly three hours and I wanted to look pretty. My tee shirt saying I hope cancer gets cancer and dies wasn't cutting it.

I only contacted Caroline when I was desperate. Caroline was my best friend, she was the type of girl that was gorgeous and flawless. Her and I drifted apart when we were about nine; but she still did favors every once in a while.

Want to go to the mall? ASAP! I texted her, she was a good friend, and I took advantage of her. She responded immediately, Of course! Pick me up now I'll be waiting outside! 

Caroline was the type of girl everyone wanted to be friends with. She was a cheerleader, was popular, and of course nice. I guess I thought I wasn't good enough for. Who knows maybe it was true?

Her house was less than five minutes away from my house. She lived in a small brick house. The yard work had been forgotten long ago. Her younger brothers ran around, and she yelled at them. She was obviously annoyed.

"Hey," I say as I pull up.

"Oh my gosh! Ella I've missed you so much!" She hugs me. 

"Yeah, I've been pretty busy too." For once I wasn't actually lying. 

"So why did you want to go to the mall?" She flips her beautiful wavy charcoal hair. I envied her style, she wore floral shorts, and a lose tank top that said I love you to the moon and back. 

"Well I'm going to the movies tonight, and I need something new."

"Wait are you dating someone?" She squeals.

"Yeah," my cheeks burn. I was never able to talk about boys.

"Is he hot?"

"Want to see a picture of him?" I wasn't able to say yes

"Of course!" 

At a red light I show her my favorite photo of Dustin and me. We were at the art studio painting. He was hugging me. You could see his muscles underneath his shirt, and he had just smeared paint across my face.

"Aw, you guys are adorable! I wish me and Sam were like this!" She and Sam had been dating for the past year. Sam was dorky, and clumsy. However she and he were adorable together. They were the classic cheerleader falls for nerd fairy tale.

"Well we are going to the movies, and I have nothing to wear." 

"So you need me?" 

"Well yeah," I sigh. My begging for her sounded desperate and selfish.

"Well, I suppose I can help you. I'm going out with Sam later though."

"So what are you doing?" I press.

"Going to a firefly fest, he says it's going to be amazing."

"Ooh, is it an overnight thing?" Sam was a genius, and come up with romantic things, (that only an outdoorsy girl would find romantic).

"Yeah, apparently every hour a new type of firefly comes out. He says the sight is breathtaking." 

"Well it sounds romantic."

"Yeah, I just wished he'd take me to the movies every once in a while." She says as she twirls a piece of her hair.

Awkwardness filled the air.

When we finally got to the mall I was stressed, and ready to pull out what little hair I had out.

"Come on, there's this new store!" I was tugged to an expensive looking store. The store had models standing outside, and had a line waiting outside.