Chapter-26

My eyes locked on to the empty table behind him. Kai and friends were gone.

Fuck.

"I was hoping we couldn't," I said pleasantly, trying to pry my hand away. "I have to talk to Mr. Evans?"

"Oh the FBI?" He asked, I felt the warmth of blood pool in my palm. The bastard had drawn blood!

"Yes, I don't think they would take it too well if I disappeared with you," I smiled.

He pulled me and shoved me towards a guard who covered my nose and mouth with a big hand. I clawed at his wrists but found no purchase. I lashed out with my hands and feet in a desperate attempt to get free. The pressure was building up. I needed to breathe. Breathe!

I was being dragged somewhere. No panicking, Kes. Calm down. Calm the fuck down!

Okay... Nakamura had caught me. Evans hadn't seen it...or maybe he had. I couldn't fight on my own.

The guard let me go and threw me inside a room somewhere in the dam. My lungs strained for air. I took a deep breath as dots danced at the edges of my vision.

"Kestrel Seran," Nakamura said, greeting me with a smile. His son stood behind him, twirling a sharp knife in his hand. He was from Koga-Ryu too, like Kai. I could tell. They held knives in a similar manner.

The five men that I assumed were his bodyguards were still there. Armed and ready to fire. I hoped Kai didn't try anything too rash. He was coming for me. I was sure of it. After all, he can't have me, who knows his name, in the hands of Nakamura.

What if he kills you instead of saving you?

"This is Tochio. My son, I assume you've met each other?" He asked.

God, shut up, I'm thinking of an escape plan here!

I looked around me, the roaring of water was even louder now. I was somewhere close to the sluice gates. But that didn't help me because the only door visible was padlocked and behind Nakamura.

Karma, thou art a heartless bitch.

Toch-whatever stepped in front of me with the knife. What was he going to do? Was he going to cut me? Rape me?

"Y-Y-You shouldn't kill me," I said in a shaky voice.

"Oh we weren't planning to kill you," Tochio chuckled. "We were just thinking what a fine addition you would make to our camps."

Trafficking camps.

My heated fear slowly gave way to ice cold fury. I forced myself to retain the terrified expression on my visage.

Okay, Kes. Think. Kai will find you. You know his name, he can't afford to have you captured, he'll either find you or...

Or kill you.

Ugh, not again! Hyperactive imagination, get back into check!

"Answer a few questions and you can leave unharmed, Ms. Seran," Nakamura said.

Bullshit.

"How are you acquainted with Kaito?"

"You know he's here?" I blurted. Damn it!! Fuck you ADHD! I'd just fucking confirmed his presence. But it didn't matter, they already knew...

"Ah yes, all of us have been on a lookout for him. He killed Talaq you know," he said.

Maybe...maybe I can get information from him? Like I did with Dean? I needed to stall. I knew Kai would be here soon. He can't risk me telling anyone about Nikolai. My heart thudded like a drum in my chest. My voice disappeared.