Chapter-32

At Chatrapati Shivaji Airport, Shah had sent two men in black suits to pick me up. I had Kai on speed-dial if anything happened, not that he could help from afar, but he could advise me on what to do (or more specifically what not to do).

The men approached me. "Kestrel Seran?"

I nodded dumbly. One of them took my backpack and they flanked me as we meandered out of the airport. They had earpieces in. Bodyguards.

"Where's Arianna?" I blurted.

No reply. Well oh kay then.

Arianna was waiting for me at the gates. She was dressed in her usual blue jeans and she'd donned a brown sweater. Her hair was tied above her neck in an elegant chignon and if I didn't know the story, I wouldn't have thought her life was in danger.

Arianna was here. Holy shit my sister was here!

"ARI!" I yelled and ran into her arms. She laughed and hugged me back. She smelled of perfume and spice. "Angel!"

I wanted to tell her so much! I wanted to yell at her and diss her for leaving me but all I did was hug her tight and weep like a fucking baby.

"Kes," her voice cracked. The two of us were complete messes.

"Charming," a voice called. I recognized him. I looked around to see Samir Shah standing there. If possible, he was more imposing in person.

"Mr. Shah," I smiled. He didn't smile back. Weird, he seemed friendly on the chat.

"We can talk when we're back at home," he said.

I nodded wordlessly and untangled myself from Arianna. Focus, then you can yell at Arianna all you want!

A black Lamborghini Gallardo rolled into the road. Arianna and I exchanged nervous looks and walked over.

"Ari," I whispered. "What's up with this guy?"

"He has an image to maintain, trust me he's usually a sweetheart."

"Board member of the Shadow Circle."

"Ah, I missed my voice of reason."

"How do you even know what reason is?!" I asked suspiciously.

She decked me on the head. The two of us slipped into the car. Arianna in the front seat with the driver and be at the back next to Shah.

"Nice to meet you in person, Kestrel Seran," he smiled, flashing white teeth.

"Trust me, it's not so nice after a while," I smiled back.

His smile tightened and Arianna made a weird noise that sounded like a grunt mixed with a hiccup.

Suddenly Shah's cellphone rang. He picked it up and answered it in Japanese. I didn't get much of what he was saying but Tochio's name entered the conversation once or twice.

Arianna caught my eye in the rearview mirror and I blinked reassuringly. I wasn't too happy about that guy showing up. But it had to be done, right?

I bit my lip as Shah put the phone down and sighed.

"What's wrong, Sam?"

"Tochio Nakamura is coming later today," he said. "He said Kaito would be here, I don't know. Where is Kaito? Will he be coming?"

"Yes," I lied. "He'll be here."

Shah cursed. "That boy is crazy, I tell you. A price on his head and he walks straight into the arms of danger."

I snickered because it was so close to the truth.

Shah dialled a number and spoke to Hindi. From the frustration in his voice, it was evident he was talking to Kai. Most people who talk to him are frustrated. The rest are dead.

Shah cursed using a very nice sounding word that I mentally filed in my list of curse words (and trust me, I had quite a list).

"What's wrong?" I asked though I knew.

"He's coming. Of course he is! That stupid boy never listens to anything I say! I said to him 'Kai, Tochio will be here and he wants you dead'. Do you know what he said?"

"I'm guessing somewhere around the lines of 'fuck this, I'm still coming'?"

"He said 'fuck this, I'm still coming'!"

I giggled again.

"But Tochio is going to be here soon. He is the one who hurt you right?" He gestured to my hand. "They fixed you up pretty good. I didn't think any of them had proper medical training."

I smiled nervously and hid my hand. Shah's dark eyes saw straight through my bullshit. I felt sweat pool in my hands. "Actually Kai did it," I said.

He nodded, not buying it one bit. "Of course he did. He's grown really fond of you."

Yeah. Kinda figured that out when he kissed me.

"Listen, there's something I need to talk to you about," I said. "Sir."

"Call me Samir. And it can wait till dinner, I'm sure. I have to make arrangements for Tochio's arrival. I need to strengthen the security. That man is psychopathic."

"I know," I said.

"Who really fixed up your hand, Kestrel?"

"Kai."

"Liar."

Did I have liar written on my face or something?! Why didn't Kai teach me how to lie properly?!

"Is Tochio coming for real?"

"Is Kai coming for real?" He asked.

I nodded. He was coming. Only not so soon.

Shah read my face. "Yes. He's coming."

"Sam—" Arianna interjected.

"I'll strengthen security around Kestrel and you," he assured.

We drove silently for a long time. I fingered the glass bottle in my pocket. Kai said it would incapacitate Shah but how do I get it in his food without me noticing?

The answer was simple and clear as day. I can't.

There were two Mercedes following us, Shah's men. The guy had some serious security and getting past them looked impossible. It was less than Nakamura's but I didn't want to try my luck.

I wasn't some hotshot spy like Elizaveta and I was clumsy as an oaf. Sneaking around wouldn't be an option. The concoction was a strong sedative. It wouldn't kill him but it would knock him out for a day. Specifically tomorrow.

Nope. No sneaking it in. I'd have to get Shah to take it willingly.

Well fuck.

A bit over twenty-four hours left and I'd already hit a road bump.
_______________________________________