Chapter-33

Dinner was set in a verandah with mango trees lining the borders. The city traffic seemed far away and the overall atmosphere was humid and warm. It was a big change from the icy frigidity of the Himalayas.

Arianna, Shah and I were the only ones present, excluding the few hundred guards he had. Nope, definitely can't work my spy mojo here.

"When is Tochio coming?" Arianna asked. She sat next to Shah and if I didn't know better, I'd say she was growing fond of him. Maybe I should try to dump the vial...

"Tonight, at about eleven or so," he said. "When will Kai be here?"

A maid served steaming rice on ceramic plates. I took a bite, it was spicy and tangy and I loved it.

"Tomorrow," I said.

Shah paused and stared at me. Arianna raised her eyebrows.

"Can I speak to you in private?" I asked him. I didn't want Arianna to hear what I had to say. She was my sister, but she'd shit bricks if she heard me out.

Shah stiffened and looked at Arianna with a questioning glance. She just shrugged.

"Kestrel, Sam's been nice enough to offer me sanctuary, please don't piss him off," she said.

"No that's fine, what do you want to tell me, Kestrel?"

Arianna stood up wordlessly and took that as her cue to leave. I stared at the steaming pile of rice on Arianna's plate. I pursed my lips. Was this the right move?

"Fuck it," I muttered and turned to face Shah.

"Look, Kai's in trouble," I told him.

"I know that," he replied. He seemed a bit irritated now. "And there's nothing I can do without putting my life on the line."

I felt my temper begin to rise. "Why are you even helping him?"

"Because I care about him," he said.

I thought about that for a second. "Bullshit. You're doing it for power. With Nozava out of your way, nothing will stop you from taking what you want."

He didn't even try to deny it. "And I suppose you're going to offer me something more?"

I didn't like his mocking smile. He regarded me like I was some cute puppy or something. Kai was the only one who took me remotely seriously because he knew what I was capable of.

"What is it with Kai?" I asked. "Nozava would love an heir. Why doesn't he step up and take his throne?"

"Ah, he hasn't told you." He steeled his fingers before him and leaned back.

"What didn't he tell me?"

Shah studied me with a serpentine grin. "Tell me, Kestrel. Why are you fighting for him when he abandoned you? When he's the reason you're hurt and here alone?"

I didn't reply. Did he really abandon me? But coming here had been my choice. Right?

He studied my face and sighed. "I see. I hope it's requited."

Brilliant. He thought I was oh-so in love with that manipulative bastard.

"You can help him, you know," I blurted.

"I know. Unfortunately, tomorrow our alliance ends. I told Kai not to act on this but he wanted to stop the arms. What can I say?"

"You can say 'sure Kestrel, I'll help Kai'?"

"Do you know why he wants to kill his father?"

I shook my head. Was this guy actually going to give me straight answers now? What's next? Halley's comet crashing into us?