Chapter 4: New Friends

(Sans and Papyrus finally show up XD)

    "Wow, that's a big door!" Asriel exclaimed. "I wonder what's on the other side...?"

"Probably more monsters," Connie started, but Asriel bounded up ahead, reaching for the handle.

"Let's go see!" He said, running up ahead. Steven, holding the door open for Connie, noticed that Asriel had bounded up a long way before the two humans were ready to move on.

"I hope he'll be OK-" he started, but he was interrupted by a rustling noise. The two stood still, scared.

"What was that?" Connie said, as footsteps sounded in the distance. They got closer and closer, until a short, dark figure stood behind them.

"Hey, don't ya know how to greet a new pal?" It asked. "T u r n  a r o u n d  a n d  s h a k e  m y       h a n d ."

Quickly building up courage, Steven turned around to face the figure. He grabbed the stranger's hand, only to find...

*fffffppttt*

"Heh, that trick never gets old!" the figure said, laughing. Steven, too, laughed along. Connie, however, did not seem in such a mood for games. "Hey, sorry 'bout that," the figure said. "I didn't mean to scare ya. I'm Sans."

"Hi! I'm Steven!" Pulling his hand away, Steven glanced over at Connie.

"I-I'm Connie..." she said with a bit of annoyance in her voice. Getting a better look at her face, Steven could see that she appeared to be searching for Asriel. "It's nice to meet you..." she continued warily.

"And I'm Asriel!" Steven heard from behind them startling the three. "It's nice to meet you..." the second time speaking, Asriel seemed a bit more nervous, as if he was scared of this new person. Sans, on the other hand, just laughed.

"So, two out of three of you are humans, huh? Well, I'm not much for human hunting, but... my brother is a human hunting fanatic."

"Oh, well, I'm not fully human... I'm part Gem. See?" Steven said, pulling up his shirt to show Sans. Connie, on the other hand, seemed more nervous.

"I'll all human, though..." she muttered.

"Well, then, follow me," Sans said, and he, Steven, and Asriel wandered off. Reluctantly, Connie followed, wondering what was waiting for them up ahead.

As the four walked through the snow, a distant, young voice called through the distance. "SAAAAANS!!!"

"Oh, that's him," Sans said. "Quick, get behind those three conveniently shaped lamps." Reluctantly, they did, and a young voice cried from the distance.

"SAAAAAANS!!! WHERE DID YOU GO?"

"What do you need, Papyrus?" asked Sans, as a tiny white figure appeared in front of them. He looked to be about Connie's size- and age.

"YOU'VE BEEN NAPPING ALL NIGHT, SANS!" Papyrus yelled, looking down at his brother. Although Sans had seemed about Steven's age, Papyrus was still about and inch taller than him.

"Uh, bro, I think that's called 'sleeping'," Sans replied with a wink. Papyrus sighed loudly.

"WELL AT LEAST YOU'RE BY YOUR POST," he said. "WE NEED TO BE READY IF A HUMAN COMES BY!"

"Pap, you're too young for that," Sans said. "You know we've gotta be at least 18 to get into the Royal Guard. You can wait six years. Besides," he finished, shrugging. "There are no humans here."

"HOW DO YOU KNOW?" the youngest said, putting his hands on his hips.

"Because if there was, I would've seen it." Sans concluded.