Chapter 12: Fame and Misfortune

(That's right, I'm gonna publish a bunch of chapters all at the same time. Enjoy.)

After about a minute, they stepped off, letting Asriel's words sink in.

"I don't want to fight," Steven said, firmly.

"Yeah, me, neither," Connie agreed.

"I wouldn't want to fight the king, either," Asriel sighed. "I just don't know what else we can do."

"You can support my job and buy a few hotdogs," said someone from the distance. The group looked up, startled, only to find-

"Sans?" Steven asked, watching the skeleton.

"That's my name, don't wear it out."

"What are you doing here?" Connie asked, confused.

"What does it look like?" Sans replied. "I'm selling hotdogs. And hotcats, if you want some of those. I kinda need the money."

"Yeah, OK! I'm starving!" Asriel exclaimed, pulling out some gold.

"You're always starving!" Connie argued, laughing. Asriel reached over for Connie's backpack, moving Rose's sword to the side in an attempt to make room.

"Geez, kid, looks like your inventory's full," Sans said, shrugging.

"But... but I want some hot dogs!" Asriel complained, struggling to make room. "Maybe I can just carry this sword..."

"Don't worry about it, Asriel, I'll just put it on your head," Sans argued, snickering. Swiftly, he placed the hotdog on Asriel's head, free of charge.
"Oh, wow," Steven said, laughing. "I wonder how many you can fit on his head."

"CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!" Asriel said. "Sans! Lets see how many hotdogs I can balance on my head- and I get them ALL!"

"Eh, I'm not too sure about that... but... alright." Leaning over, Sans placed another hotdog on Asriel's head, then another.

"Oh geez..." Connie said in awe, as the skeleton kept piling hot dogs. Eventually, Sans was forced to place the food telepathically, as no one could reach that high.

"C'mon! One more!" Asriel said, as Sans placed the 29th hotdog.

"I can't, kiddo, I'm out!" He argued. Asriel sighed in defeat.

"So close..."

"Now what are we going to do?" Steven asked. "You can't possibly walk around balancing those..."

"Who says? I'll bet I can!" The young monster argued, determined. Slowly, he took one step, and then another.

"HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS?!" Connie exclaimed, as Asriel continued on ahead.

"See? I told you I coul-" and with that, they all came tumbling down.

"AVALANCHE!" Steven laughed, putting his hands up over his head.

"Aw, that's too bad, kid," Sans commented. "I was actually gonna let you eat those. Hey, if you want, you can each take a hot cat for the road."

"Uh... n-no thanks," both of the humans declined.

"Are you two crazy? I'll take one!!!" Asriel exclaimed, bounding up the the skeleton.

"Jeez, calm down... here," Sans said, handing him one. Asriel managed to eat the whole thing in two bites.

"Didn't you agree never to do that again?" Connie laughed.

"Maybe..." Asriel replied. Sans rolled his eyes.