Chapter 9: Hanging With Undyne

Moments later, the three stood outside of a living structure in the form of some sort of fish. Sure enough, there stood Papyrus.

"HELLO THERE, KIDS!" He exclaimed. "NICE TO SEE YOU!"

"Papyrus, we're all older than you!" Steven laughed.

"WELL, NEVERTHELESS... HERE!" He thrusted a dog treat into Steven's hand. "GIVE THIS TO UNDYNE! SHE LOVES THESE!"

"Um, Papyrus?" Asriel started. "This is a d-"

"A WONDERFUL GIFT, I KNOW!" Papyrus finished, striking a pose. Steven laughed.

"C'mon, let's go," he said, looking down at the small skeleton. Papyrus turned to the door, knocking. Seconds later, the tall gladiator from before stood, armorless, her eyes lighting up at the sight of Papyrus.

"Hey, papyrus!" She said. "Are you ready for your special, super private, one-on-one youth training?"

"GREETINGS, UNDYNE! AND YES, I VERY MUCH AM! I EVEN GOT MY FRIENDS TO COME HERE!" He stepped aside, beaming at his clever idea. The three stood, speechless.

"H-humans..." Undyne commented to no one in particular. Taking a deep breath, Asriel was the first to speak.

"Hello! I- uh- I'm here, too..." he said in a small voice.

"Oh! Prince Asriel!" She said, baffled. "What are you doing here? I thought you and Queen Toriel were in the Ruins!"

"We wer- I was," he said, catching himself. "But me and my friends are making out way up to the surface now!" He smiled, proud.

"Your friends...?" Undyne towered over the two humans.

"H-hi!" Steven said. "I'm Steven, Steven Universe! And this is my friend, Connie! We've... kind of met already, if you want to count our encounter in the Waterfall."

"Wait," Undyne said. "There were three humans in the Waterfall... there are only to of you."

"Actually, I would be the third person..." Asriel said in a small voice. Undyne's eyes widened.

"O-oh... why don't... you four... come in?" She asked, gritting her teeth.

The group walked inside, observing Undyne's house. "So, where do we begin, Papyrus?" She asked.

"BEFORE WE START, MY FRIEND WOULD LIKE TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING!" Papyrus exclaimed. "THEY BROUGHT IT COMPLETELY ON THEIR OWN! ISN'T THAT RIGHT, STEVEN?"

"Uh, yeah!" Steven agreed, handing Undyne the bone wrapped in blue ribbon. She took if from him, pretending to enjoy it.

"Wow, for me? Human, you're... so thoughtful," she said, dryly. "I'll put it with all the others." Walking over to the far side of the room, she opened a drawer with at least 20 more versions of the dog treat. Connie slapped her palm to her face as Undyne dropped the gift in with the others.

"So, back to what I was saying-"

"WOOPSY DOOPSY! I JUST REMEMBERED! I HAVE TO... UM... GO TO THE BATHROOM!" he exclaimed. "YOU FOUR HAVE FUN!" With that, he ran to Undyne's window and jumped out of it. Steven broke down laughing while Connie sighed once more.

"So, now that he's gone, we can get down to some real business," Undyne said.

"What type of business?" Asriel asked.

"Soul business," Undyne growled, looking at Steven and Connie.

"I-I'm not fully human..." Steven said, putting his hands up.