Chapter 5: Dinner With The Skelebros

(WARNING: This chapter is really long, with a 2,221 word count... sorry, we couldn't find a good breaking point!)

"Welp, here we are: Grillby's," Sans said, as the group stood at the entrance. "I come here to eat all the time."

"Cool!" Asriel exclaimed, observing the restaurant.

"COME ON, LET'S GO IN!" Papyrus suggested, and they entered the building.

There were a lot of unfamiliar monsters eating inside, but luckily, there was an extended booth in the far side of the room. "Usually, I'd sit at the counter," Sans explained, "but since we have so many people, I suppose this'll have to do."

"Who are all these other monsters?" Steven asked, taking a seat.

"I don't know 'em by name, but... they just come here often. Just like me." Sans replied, sitting across from Steven. From the other side of the table, a wet fart sound emitted from the seat. Everyone in the restaurant burst out laughing.

"Wh-wha...?" Connie asked, pulling a whoopee cushion from the seat.

"Oh, right, forgot to warn ya... be careful where you sit- the monsters here love pranking as much as I do."

"SANS, HOW DO YOU LIKE THIS PLACE? IT IS TOO NOISY!" Papyrus complained. Sans shrugged in reply, and Papyrus sighed.

A tall, flaming man with horn-rimmed glasses walked over to the table. He looked down at Sans with a blank expression.

"Five orders of burgs and fries, Grillby," Sans said, and the flaming guy walked away. "You guys like burgers, right?" He asked, looking back at the others. Everyone complied.

"So... Papyrus, why are you so obsessed with human hunting?" Asriel asked.

"BECAUSE, OUR KING, ASGORE, NEEDS HUMAN SOULS TO BE ABLE TO TAKE OVER THE SURFACE! AND HE GETS THOSE SOULS FROM ROYAL GUARDS! AND I WANNA BE A ROYAL GUARD WHEN I GROW UP!" Papyrus exclaimed. "SO I PRACTICE CAPTURING HUMANS TO PROVE THAT I CAN BE A ROYAL GUARD!"

"Wait, what do you mean, 'take over the surface'?" Connie asked.

"AS IN GET RID OF ALL THE HUMANS AND MAKE SPACE FOR US MONSTERS!"

"Get rid of us?" Steven asked. "How come?"

"It's something stupid, with that whole war things between us and you," Sans replied. "He thinks that, with the power of seven human souls, he can wipe out the entire human race. I don't think they deserve to die... and I don't think he should be wasting his time trying to do something so pointless. There's no way we can make it to the surface- I gave up trying to go back a long time ago."

"H-how many souls does he have so far?" Connie asked.

"FIVE," Papyrus exclaimed. "AND I WILL GET ONE OF THOSE MISSING SOULS IF IT IS THE LAST THING I DO. NYE-HEH-HEH!"

"Y-You're not gonna use... us, are you?" Steven asked. Papyrus looked down at Steven, contemplating the idea.

"NO. YOU TWO ARE... UH... YOU ARE..." He stopped for a second, thinking of an excuse. "YOU ARE NOT FULLY HUMAN! THEREFORE, I CANNOT TAKE YOUR SOUL!" He gestured to Steven, and then turned to Connie. "YOU ARE... YOUR HAIR IS TOO BLACK. ASGORE IS PICKY WHEN IT COMES TO HAIR!"

"Heh, alright, that's a decent excuse," Sans said sarcastically. He started to say more, but before he could start, Grillby came back over with a set of five burgers and fires, each set up on their own individual tray.

"Hey, thanks!" Asriel said, beaming, as he took a bite of his burger. Everyone started eating, continuing their conversation.

"So, what do you guys do up on the surface?" Sans asked.