Chapter Forty-three

Chapter Forty-three

Have you wondered what it was to die? Have you ever wondered how you would die? Did you imagine people holding your hand as you took your last breath or did you imagine dying alone? Was it something you even thought about me or was it something you just avoided thinking about?

From complete silence, I started hearing voices. Then they got louder and louder. I wanted to press my hands against my ears to block out the sound. I wanted to tell them to be quiet, but I couldn't. I couldn't feel my body. I couldn't move any part of my body. I felt a surge of panic going through me.

What was happening to me? Was how it felt to be dead? My throat burned as I tried to speak.

I tried.

Again and again.

Nothing seemed to be coming out. Finally, I stopped. I stopped trying and stopped panicking. I ignored the loud noise surrounding me and slowly I went back into a deep slumber.

***
I jerked awake. My eyes opened wide. I was met with a bright light causing me to jerk my head to the side.

"You are awake," I heard a voice say. I opened my mouth to ask who that was but all that came out was a croak.

"Don't try to talk. When you were chocked your vocal cords were also hurt so just let it rest for a while. Do you want water? Tap my hand once for yes and twice for no." I felt him grab my hand. I tapped my hand once.

"I am going to slowly lift you up, but I can promise that I won't hurt." A pair of hands slowly lifted me up. I opened my mouth to scream in pain but nothing came out.

"It's done. Drink this." After drinking a few sips, I felt the dryness in my throat decrease. I turned my head slowly to the side to see Rawer watching me intently.

"What happened?"

"When we entered the building we found your unconscious body by the wall. We could smell Leon's scent all over you and knew he, well the Defesta inside of him made him do this to you."

"Did you get Leon?" One look at Rawer's face, I immediately knew the answer.

"He left before any of us could stop him." I felt my heart sink. The Defesta was unpredictable and he would become uncontrollable. Leon was already losing control over the Defesta. Him attacking me was the first sign.

"What do we do from here?" Rawer sighed loudly and ran a hand down his face.

"We will have asked all the witches to try to trace him, but so far none of them have found him."

"Trace them? How does that work?"

"You take a belonging of the person you are trying to trace and then change into a stone that represents them the most. You put the stone on a map and then you say the tracing spell. After that, you just wait and wait."

"That shouldn't take too long right?"

"The tracing spell takes a lot of power from the witch. Witches can only say the spell for so long before they need to refuel, and since the Defesta is becoming stronger, it is also masking Leon- making it hard for us to trace him. "

"If it's hard to trace him then it takes longer, and more time consumed means more energy is consumed."

"There must be another way. We can lure him in by using me as bait. We both know he- The Defesta wants to kill me."

"We aren't going to put you anymore danger. Leon will be made when he finds that we used you as bait once if we use you twice, I am not too sure I would live to see another day."

"That sounds like something you read in a book," I said giving Rawer a pointed look.

"Most people think supernatural creatures are made up creatures that are used to make a boring plot line more interesting to read."

"I am going to help you. You can't stop me!" I stared into Rawer's eyes to show him how serious I was. The Defesta was my problem, to start off with. I also wanted to be the one that he ended with. It only seemed fair that way.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, Ashley, but you can't exactly leave right now." He pointed towards the wires sticking into to my skin. I grabbed the wires with my hand and tried to pull them out, but that only caused me to cry out in pain.

"Ashley, stop! Please don't make this harder for me! We are going to find Leon, trust me." I held Rawer's hand as I tried to hold back the tears that were streaming down my face.

***
The next time I woke up, I wasn't on the hospital bed. The place I was in, didn't even resemble the room I was staying at, in any way. I looked down at myself to see, that I was still wearing my hospital gown but the wires on my arm were no longer there. I wanted to ask someone where I was, but there was no one there.

Crunch

Crunch

Crunch

I whipped my head around toward the noise, but I couldn't see anything but tall, lush trees. I felt someone's finger slide across my neck. As soon as I turned around, they were no longer there. I heard the faint hush of whispers, but I couldn't place where they were coming from. I turned- around and around until I felt dizzy. I still couldn't see anything.

"Ashley." Someone whispered. I turned around to see a person I hadn't seen in years. He was supposed to be dead, or did I die too? Is that why I was in this place?

"Ashley." The person whispered again. I shook my head, side to side in denial. I knew he wasn't real but seeing him standing there- I couldn't help but let out a scream as all the memories that I had so carefully locked away into the furthest part of my brain, came back to me.

*_________________________*
Hi everyone!

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! I would to know who you think the mysterious he is, in this chapter!
Vote, comment, Share, Follow

Love,
TTBMBFF