Chapter One

Chapter One

'Focus On The Solution,

Not The Problem'

"It's time for me to go," I said to Sean- one of the helpers in the old age home. I gave him a small smile as I walked over to get my bag from the desk.

"It was nice having you here. It is not often we get volunteers that work here for the disabled people and not for the community hours they gain."

"It was my pleasure! I love helping people, I mean, why else would I have chosen to study medicine? It is not for the all the studying that's for sure!" We both laughed as if I had just said a big joke but we both knew that we were just looking for something- anything to not say goodbye. 

"To be quite honest though, whenever one of the people that I am helping, smiles, or even thanks me, my heart always filled with a different kind of happiness, the kind that could not be brought upon with simple things like jokes."

"You will be a good doctor, Ashley."

"Thank you." We both hugged each other tightly. Tears sprung in my eyes and before I knew it, they were falling down my cheeks- wetting Sean's jacket in the process. I don't think we both cared that his jacket had become wet.

"We will see each other again. I can promise you that." Sean wiped the tears with his thumb, smiling sadly at me. Sean had been like an older brother that I had never had. We were neighbors for as long as I could remember.

"I know," I nodded my head vigorously and allowed myself a few minutes to take a deep breath before speaking again. "Whenever I come down, we have to see each other at least once and there is always phones. It's just things are going to be different."

"You will meet many people there- you will get new friends but you are still going to be you, Ashley. Remember that." We embraced each other one more time before saying our goodbyes.

I decided to walk the long way- via the woods. The woods had always been a peaceful place for me. Whenever I wanted to get away from my parents and friends I would just come here. On a few occasions, I had spent a night or two camping. This was the thing I was going to miss the most.

Luckily there was a forest near the university, but I knew that wouldn't be the same. I wouldn't be able to walk alone. There would be lots of others students there too, unlike in Peaceville where I was the only one.

University would be a new chapter of my life. Everything would be new to me. This would be my first time out of Peaceville. My parents had gone out of town many times but only for business and they had never taken me with them.

I had two close friends at school that I was going to miss the most. Both my friends, Shakira and Fred, were going to a university in the opposite direction to where I was going to go. We all promised though that we were going to try to stay in contact with each other.

After a lot of thinking about what tomorrow would bring I got up to go home when my phone fell out of my jean pocket.

I bend down to pick it up when I heard a rustle of leaves. I thought it was my imagination and picked up the phone. While I was searching the phone for any scratches I heard the rustle of leaves again, this time it was louder and clearer. It was as if somebody was warning me.

I got a little scared so I put my phone in my hand and held it tightly, ready to call somebody any minute. I knew that the noise was not from a human because nobody came here, or at least I had never met anyone here. The only other option was an animal, more specifically known as a wolf.

I had never seen one before but had heard stories about them. Most of the wolves wouldn't come near a human but there were some wolves, some dangerous wolves that could kill you. I didn't want to take the risk of finding out what type of wolf he or she was, so I slowly took steps back, on the dry ground.

When I turned around to run back home, I was more that surprised to see a wolf standing there looking at me. I knew from the hungry look in its eye that it was a dangerous wolf. My heart leaped in my chest as fear crawled into my body.

I opened my mouth to scream but was cut when two other wolves come charging towards the dangerous wolf knocking it down on the ground. The dangerous wolf got up and got ready to attack.

Suddenly I started to feel light headed. I grabbed the nearest tree, holding onto it with my shaking hands. I let out a loud shriek causing all of the wolves to look at me. The hungry wolf took this an advantage and jumped onto one of the wolves.

I noticed one of the wolves nodding its head towards the way to town as if indicating for me to go. A sudden rush of adrenaline filled my body and without another thought, I ran.

I ran past the tall trees, my vision blurred slightly because of the tears that were in my eyes. As the first tear drops from m eye, I saw the roof of my house. I slowed down as I came nearer to my house.

Quickly wiping my tears, I took slow, calming deep breaths. I pressed my nail into the skin of hand- trying to stop it from shaking so much. As I came closer to the house I noticed the lights were on in the living room and realized that my parents were back home from work.

I went through the back door to smell the aroma of fried chicken, my favorite food. I heard the clinking of metal and knew immediately that my parents were having dinner. At the sound of my arrival, my parents looked at towards me.

"How was your day honey?" My mother asked me warmly. On any other day, I would have told her about my day but today I didn't feel like telling her about the incident that had occurred. I had a feeling that my parents would get worried about the attack and it would increase my nerves for tomorrow.

"It was good, "I said with a struggle of her shoulder and started heading up to my room.

"Aren't you going to have dinner?" My Dad asked, indicating towards the chicken.

"No, thanks, dad. I'm not feeling too well. I want to sleep it off," I partially lied knowing full well that I was hungry but the effect of almost being attacked in the forest had quickly taken that spot in my stomach with fear.

"Well hope you feel better," my Dad called after me as I went up the stairs to my room.

"Me too Dad me too," I muttered to myself.

*-----------------------------------------------------------------*

Hi everyone!

Not edited!

Picture of Ashley in the forest on the side- Being played by Amber Heard

If you haven't already check out my first book it is called The Guard.

How did you find the first chapter?

Song - Bob Dylan - New morning

What did you like about chapter one?

VOTE if you want

COMMENT if you like

FOLLOW if want to

SHARE if you like it

TTBMBFF