Chapter Fifty-one

My throat was hoarse from my cries. I banged my fist against the metal door but it wouldn't budge. I clutched my stomach as it let out another growl. I didn't know how long I had been here for, but I knew that I was getting tired and weaker with each second that passed.

After I had seen Leon's head, the blindfold was placed back around my head. I was pushed around presumably by the people who shoved me in the van until we reached a room which I was shoved into. 

Since I had been placed in the room I have had no contact with the outside world. Leon was dead. I was of no use to them. Leon and I didn't know long enough for him to tell me anything too important of the werewolf world, therefore they clearly weren't keeping me captive for information. There must be another. Another reason that I simply couldn't figure out.

I rested my bare hands against the door and rested my head against the cool, metal door. I breathed in deeply a few times, hoping that it would calm my wildly beating heart. I heard the click of a lock and before I could completely comprehend it, the door was pushed open, sending me flying across the room. 

I hit the hard floor and groaned. Bright light entered the dimly lit room I had been placed in. I saw four figures enter the room, two of them placed a bed and equipment which they quickly fixed and they walked out, shutting the door with them. I got up slowly and approached the two people left in the room. 

"Ashley, I hope the hospitality has been great here," Sarim said sarcastically, as she assessed me up and down. I looked at the man next to her, who was watching this interaction with disinterest. "I don't want to waste any more time so let us get her on the bed."

"What? Why?" My questions were left unanswered as the bulky man grabbed me by both my arms and lifted me off the ground. He carried me to the bed where Sarim quickly handcuffed my hands to the bed. I shook my hands against the handcuffs, as hoping for some sort of miracle that the handcuff would open. I stared up at the white ceiling in frustration. 

"Please. What is going on?" Sarim sighed heavily. 

"I'll tell you since you want to know so badly. You had the Defesta in your body. I want to learn more about it."

"So what? You are going to use me as a guinea pig? Something you can experiment on?"

"Precisely. " I felt a sudden burn along my ankle and realized the man had fastened a rope around my ankles. "I have been curious about people who have the Defesta in their body. I have heard of theories and I wanted to test them out myself.

"For what? What do you gain from this?"

"I get a lot of recognition for my work. I will be honored by the werewolf community. I will gain the respect that I deserve."

 "How did Leon's death have anything to do with this?"

"He was in the way. He would have done anything in his power to save you. He needed to be gone."

"You might be wrong. Maybe he wouldn't have done anything in his power to save me."

"You underestimate the power of a werewolf mate, Ashley." I titled my head to see Sarim holding an injection with a clear liquid in it.

"What is that?"

"It is a surprise."

"I don't like surprises."

"Well, you aren't in a position to negotiate here. So I guess you will just need to be happy with what I tell you."

"How did you kill Leon?"

"You think I don't know what you are doing? Your questions aren't going to buy you any more time Ashley. I hope you had a good night sleep for the past few days because you won't be getting any sleep, anytime soon." Before I could comprehend what she meant, she injected the needle into my arm.

I closed my eyes tightly. Taking comfort in the darkness. I didn't feel anything for a few seconds. But then, I felt it. It was just a slight discomfort at first. I wriggled my fingers a bit, trying to make the discomfort go away. Then the pain started. It started from where the needle was inserted but slowly it spread all over my body. I tried to open my mouth to scream but nothing came out.  I tried to open my eyes. Nothing happened. It was as if my body had gone into shock.

Faintly I could hear Sarim speaking to the man. I couldn't concentrate to listen to what they were saying because the pain consumed my thoughts. I knew that by thinking about the pain, I was just making it worse but I didn't, more precisely couldn't think of anything but the pain. 

I didn't know how many seconds or minutes had passed. I had lost the sense of time a long time ago. All I knew that was I wanted the pain to stop. I didn't only mean the physical pain but the emotional pain as well. I wanted to mourn peacefully. I had hoped that once I had defeated the Defesta, that would be the last time I would experience this type of pain, but I was wrong. 

From the midst of my thoughts, I heard a noise. A bang of some sort. I felt bright light shine on my closed eyes. I didn't know if it was just my imagination or real life. I heard shouting. I felt something on me. A hand. Then another. And suddenly, I felt myself being lifted up from the bed. Whoever was carrying me was running. I wanted to open my eyes and see who it was and where and who we were running from. Yet, all my questions were left unanswered as I felt another needle injected into my arm and soon I feel unconscious, or maybe, I was already unconscious and this had been a dream all along.