Chapter Twenty Three

I stared at the clock that read two thirty am. I listened to the silent, waiting for something to break the silence that is enveloping the dorm. I leaned back onto the headboard of my bed, waiting for Leon to come back to the dorm.

Ever since Leon left in a hurry I had been worried sick. I didn't know why I was so worried about him. Thinking of him hurt gave me a pang at my heart. I took my phone from the bedside table, as I unlocked the phone I noticed lots of messages and phone calls from lots of private numbers.

As I scrolled down, I realised that only one of them had left a voice mail. I pressed on it, curious to who left the voice mail. I put my phone to the ear and waited for someone to say something, but they didn't.

After a few seconds, I finally grew tired of hearing silence and am about to take my phone away from my ear but I hear a quiet sob. I heard the person mutter something under her breath and blew her nose loudly.

"Ashley, this is me your Aunt Feri. I am the aunt that always brought you gifts every time I saw you when you were small." My eyes widened in surprise when I realised that this was my aunt that I hadn't spoken for years.

'"I want you to stop whatever you are doing right now, please, this for your own good. Walk away to a place where people cannot see you." My aunt stopped talking for a few seconds, trying to give me time to walk away. After a few seconds, she continues as if she hadn't stopped.

"The news I am about to tell you is horrifying and not something you might expect, but before I tell you the news I want to tell you so advice. I found out from the people in this town that you are in Oakmund University for your first year and you are leaning towards being a doctor. The news that I want to tell you is probably going to shatter your dreams but I want you to know that even though what I am about to tell you is," my aunt paused for a second, sniffling slightly, trying not to burst into tears again, "heart-breaking I want you to know that your parents wouldn't want you to walk away from your dreams. They would want you to become a successful and happy doctor."

After she said that sentence, I finally realised where she was leading to. Tears brined my eyes as I thought about them and how I would never see them again. I took a deep breath trying to stop myself from having another emotional outbreak.

"Aunt Feri I know-"I am interrupted from my aunt that has resumed speaking again.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. My aunt Feri always listened to me, she never interrupted me once, even when I was annoying her. My aunt had this unique quality, to listen to people even if the matter did not affect her at all.

She always listened to people their problems- almost like a therapist except she did this for free not for money. Thinking about my aunt made me realize how much I missed her and her feisty nature.

If my aunt and my parents hadn't had the fight, my aunt would have never moved out Peace League and she would never have got a new phone and email address. Even though my aunt and my parents were furious at each other, I knew that they still loved and thought about each other every single day.

Abruptly I realised that my aunt never cut me off, this was a voicemail so she couldn't hear me. I sighed in relief my worry about my aunt changing into an unknown stranger washed away. My aunt's loud sniffle brought me back to reality.

"I am sorry Ashley for the loss of your parents. They both were murdered on Saturday night. The police are searching the house for clues to who it was but at the moment they have none. I know that this hard for you, especially as you only just moved places and are settling in. After hearing this news you probably don't want to come back to Peaceville but for the maybe last time please come here, not only for me but for your parents. The funeral is in three days. I really hope to see you there, Ashley."

Just like that, the line is n dead. I slowly took away the phone from my ear, my heart thumping against my chest wildly. I didn't know what to say, I was speechless. I stared at the phone and hugged it tightly of voices a, one of them being Leon's.

I got out of my bed and walked towards the door, as I opened it everybody stopped talking as if they knew I was listening to them talking. When none of them said a word for a few seconds I decided I was going to show my face to these people.

I walked towards the living, my shoulders were straight and my head held high, I was looking confident but I definitely wasn't feeling any. As I entered the room, everybody stared at me, as if they were expecting me.

There were eight of them, three girls, and five boys. All of them had a grim expression on their face and looked like they were discussing something important before.

I stared at all of them like they were staring at me, except I was staring at them for a different reason. They all had blood and mud on their clothes, their hair was a mess and some of them had newly made scratches on them.

"Is someone going to tell me what is going on?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest. Leon got up from his seat on the couch and walked over to where I am standing.

"It is nothing to worry about just some wolves getting out of control, nothing out of the ordinary," Leon said shrugging his shoulders.

"There is blood and mud on all of your shirts. I don't think there is anything to worry about. You better start explaining to me about what happened or I will go find a person willing to tell me." I looked Leon right in the eye, assuring him I was not going to back down.

*________________*

Hi everyone!

What are your thoughts of this chapter?

What did you think of Ashley's aunt?

What did you think of Ashley's mood swing?

Vote Goal – 10

Thank you so much for 4,471 reads and 147 votes!

Vote

Comment

Follow

Share

TTBMBFF