prologue

Mark and Jack were best friends they would always there for each other when they needed it. Jack knew about Marks 'gift'. Jack was probably the happiest five year old ever. He was the only heir to the throne and his family treated Mark like their own. Jack woke up early, as did Mark and the two went down to the hall as quiet as possible. "Mark show me your gift again please." Begged Jack.

"Fine just don't tell your parents." Mark complied to the younger boys wish and made it snow inside.

"Wow it's so cool I wish I could do it." Jack giggled happily, he started running around the hall. With the ice on the floor it was like he was skating. "Lift me!' Jack exclaimed happily.

Are you sure?" Mark questioned. He had tried this before but it didn't really end up well.

"Yes it's so fun when you do!" Jack was nearly screaming at this point so Mark had to tell him to be quiet.

"If you say so Jack." Mark pointed to the bottom of Jacks feet and snow slowly rose him up. Jack squealed in excitement as the tower rose higher and higher.

"Catch me!" He shouted and took Mark by surprise when he jumped off the tower that had been piled high with snow.

"W-wait Jack I'm not ready!" Mark was flustered trying to make sure his friend didn't get hurt. Just before he hit the ground Mark stuck his hand out in Jack direction to try catch him. A blast of ice expelled from his palm as the bolt made its way towards Jack. It hit him dead centre of his head and he hit the floor unconscious. Mark could only look on in horror as a strand of Jacks hair turned green. "Mrs McLoughlin!, Mr McLoughlin! Someone help I've done something terrible!" Mark was panicking so much that the cold became apparent and snow had started to fall faster.

Jack's parents burst into the room at lightning speed and went over to their son. "Oh my baby boy," Jacks mother cooed while stroking Jack's soft hair. "He's freezing." The queen quickly announced.

"Ok follow me, you too Mark we need to go somewhere." The king rushed out the door of the hall and into the stables where they grabbed two horses. Jack rode with his mother in her arms, while the Mark was on the back of the kings horse.

The horses rode as fast as they could to a forrest. The horse Mark was on left a trail of ice as they rode through the kingdom. It was early so no one saw the trail that it left.

But one boy did. He gazed in awe as the horses past. Particularly the horse Mark was on. He urged his reindeer to follow him. The boy followed behind keeping close to the edge of the road. He hid behind a rock as he watched the scene unfold before him.

They came to an abrupt stop and the king and queen charged of their horses. The queen cradled Jack in her arms as they ran into the centre of three rings. A wise man came out of seemingly nowhere. As the man approached the four he spoke. "I sense pain within your boys head there." He gestured to Jack.

"Yes, can you help us please, we plead for his life." The king spoke worriedly and quickly.

"Yes I can but I need to do something specific to him," The man took a pause before continuing. "That boy there has a gift. I'm sure you're aware of that but your son cannot remember this after what I have to do, right you need to come here," He pointed to Mark. "What's your name?" The man asked.

"M-Mark." He stuttered nervously.

"Okay listen close Mark, you need to keep your gift under control. You see, you could have killed that boy."

The words made Mark gasp and stumble back. He could have killed his best friend. "I-I didn't know he. Oh god what have I done." He fell to his knees with his head in his hands. This was a lot to put on a six year old.