18. Reconnaissance

Hey guys! So just for you and because I'm a terrible author and never update, I've come bearing the gift of two chapters in one day!!! I hope you all enjoy it :) love you <3 [and my boy paul wesley]

Skylar

My heart started to race as soon as the sun went down. We were still in the hotel room, waiting for Kaia to call, but it was Thursday and it was dark out. This is when she said we'd be scoping out their base of operations. I felt really cool like I was a spy whenever I thought about what we were about to do, but at the same time I felt dread coil in my stomach because so many things could wrong with this plan that quite honestly seemed poorly fabricated. Not to mention Lucas and Kaia.

"Skylar," Alec groaned from his spot on the couch. He was laying down with his head in Sairah's lap (I still couldn't get over how cute they were and absolutely gorgeous she was).

I stopped my pacing in front of the door and rasied an eyebrow at him. "What, Alec?"

"You know when someone is obviously thinking about something pretty hard and then someone says to them 'you're thinking too loud'? Well that's you right now, except I can actually hear your thoughts," he said and my eyebrows furrowed. "So would you please calm down? Just for a second?"

I narrowed my eyes at him and as if he could feel my gaze, he opened his eyes to match my glare. Sairah pressed her lips together to keep from smiling while she ran her fingers through Alec's hair. "How am I supposed to calm down? You of all people should be as worried as I am!"

Alec closed his eyes again and sighed before rolling off the couch and walking up to me. He put his hands on my shoulders and gave me a small smile. "I am worried Skylar. I am interally screaming while contemplating finding the nearest cliff to fling myself off of, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that it's happening regardless of how we feel about it, so there isn't a point to worrying when you can't stop it. Well, I mean in this case I guess you could but you're definitely not the kind of person to do that and this probaly doesn't help you at all, but i'm trying and--" he shook his head. "The point is, I am just as worried as you. We're in the same boat and it sucks, but we're in it together. And you've got Sairah and Ryan and Cameron and Wyatt and even Maggie. So it'll be fine."

I blinked. "Wow that was a lot, but thanks," I said. "And what did you mean by 'even Maggie'?"

Alec dropped his hands and twisted his lips, looking conflicted. "I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. I just get a weird feeling from her, like I can't trust her."

I shook my head. "You don't know her. She can be trusted and I trust her with my life. She's saved it once before and I have no doubt that she'd do it again."

Alec raised his hands. "Yeah you're right, I don't know her. It's probably just a weird feeling that's all."

The door to the hotel room opened just then and Ryan, Wyatt, and Maggie walked in. Having just come from the convenience store, the three of them had plastic bags in their hands. Maggie slipped by Alec and I, setting her bag down on the coffee table and stretching her arms above her head. She sat down in a chair just as Ryan pressed a kiss to my cheek and Wyatt dropped his bags unceremoniously into Alec's arms before sprawling on the couch and letting his head fall into Sairah's lap. Alec gave him an unimpressed look and Sairah laughed.

"Where's Cameron?" I asked just as he walked through the door.

Cameron held up his bags and said, "I've got the alcohol."

Wyatt and Alec cheered while I rolled my eyes, thankful to have all of them here with me. I held out a hand for the bags and Cameron handed them over. Inside was a thing of bananas, a jar of peanut butter, and a loaf of bread. "Ahh yes, the good stuff. How drunk do you think I'll get on this?" I asked, holding up the peanut butter.