09. Curls Frilly Dresses and the Coven Ball

^^^[Changed my mind about POVs]^^^

Maggie

The ball was in ten minutes. It was something I had been waiting for since the announcement almost three months ago.

The Annual Coven Ball.

Each year, all covens of witches would travel from across the world to a Salem, Oregon in celebration of the survival of witches after the Salem trials. Yes we are aware they weren't in Oregon but it was the only place we could go and hold such a grand ball without attracting attention.

And it wasn't very far for me. I lived near Ryan and Skylar's pack back up in Washington state and had traveled down here a few days ago, eager to be closer to my kind. Just standing in one of the dressing rooms in the large hotel the ball was at, I could feel the power from the hundreds of witches that had come. The power of the spirits was also very strong. I could feel the ancient magic pumping through my veins, making me strong enough to take over the world if I wanted to.

I was sitting calmly in a golden chair in front of the three mirror vanity, just absentmindedly twirling the dancing glass ballerina on the desk with my fingers. I was wearing a long, champagne colored gown that frilled out with tool underneath. It was a strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline. I accompanied the dress with a golden locket which had been a token from my mother, the only other witch in my family, and gold studs.

My feet were adorned with nude heels and my golden hair was pinned in a loose bun with small ringlets framing my face. A nice serving maiden had come to do my makeup, much to my surprise. She said that she enjoyed using her magic to make others feel beautiful so I obliged.

My mind shifted to Skylar Lancaster for a moment and the glass ballerina shattered, leaving behind a glowing residue of red magic.

Oops.

I never liked her. She was too nice. Too perfect. Just a bundle of joy and happiness.

And the love of Ryan Lancaster's life, much to my dismay.

It wasn't easy to see them together, especially now that they had a kid, who despite all the curses I had cooked up, was still so freaking cute. So I never stayed around. I helped when they needed it, to keep my cover. But I never stayed longer than I had to.

I knew it was a bad idea to insist on becoming a pack witch. Especially the River Hollows pack witch. Luckily enough, I wasn't full time because I was still only 20. My magic wasn't fully developed so Lilith, an annoying nomadic witch who refused on joining a coven, was the current pack witch.

Which in retrospect, was good. I wasn't needed as much. So I could stay away.

I smacked my fist against the vanity, shattering a few extra pieces of glass. I knew it! I knew I should've stayed away. I had gone to stay with the pack for a while to get a feel of it and see if I wanted to be the pack witch when I was older. And unfortunately for me I had started liking Ryan, which was stupid. And then I made the decision that just worsened the whole thing: I stayed. Which led to the furthering of my feelings for the young wolf.

Why, oh why, did I have to fall in love with Ryan Lancaster?

He's a werewolf, for The Moon Goddess' sake! They are born with a mate! Someone who there souls are tied to, irrevocably and completely! I knew he'd find one eventually but I stayed. I still foolishly dreamed that one day he'd feel the same way and just reject his mate. But he barely noticed me.

And then he met Skylar Nightly.

I was overjoyed when she was kidnapped, hoping more than anything that Daniel would have more common sense and just kill her instead of raping her on a dirty mattress. But to keep the plan in motion, I was sent to save her.

However, I knew I couldn't do it alone without bringing her intentional harm, so I brought along Gracie, a kind animal spirit who was Lilith's familiar. And the two of us together went and saved Anna and the wretched girl.

Ryan was ecstatic and everything was happy go lucky. I just kept telling myself that the plan was still in motion and one day it would all be over and she'd be dead.

And then they got married.

Instantly I had known that I should've killed her a long time ago, but Shea, the head of my coven, had stopped my from finishing the job that we had started. She warned me of Skylar's power which had puzzled me. The bitch couldn't even shift!

A knock on the door startled me out of my angry thoughts. "Ma'am? The ball is about to start."

"Of course." I called out, brushing the bits and pieces of glass off my hands and walking out of my room.

I followed the serving maiden into the ballroom where Guinevere, the priestess of The Moon Goddess and the oldest witch alive stood on the stage. She gave us a speech, reviewing the importance of not killing Skylar until it was time and warning us of her deadly power. I had no idea what they meant by that because I wasn't a developed witch yet, so I wasn't let on all the secrets, but Shea believed that Skylar was deadly, so I had no choice but to go along with it.

After the talk about Skylar had riled us all up, Guinevere announced the ball to officially begin and we all danced, letting out magic into the air. It energized us, gave us a sense of liveliness. We danced, sung, and cast spells here and there.

And for once in my life I forgot about the worries of being a witch and hiding my powers from humans. I forgot about Ryan. And best of all, I forgot about Skylar.

*****

Hey guys. This is a bit shorter than usual and I'm sorry. I had this whole long chapter planned and written out and had some interesting info you probs should know but I saved it and when I came back half of it was gone and I was sick this weekend so I sure as heck didn't feel like writing all of that again.

When I post edited versions of my stories later on, I'll rewrite it. For now tho, it has enough stuff for you guys to assume what's happening and what's going on, so I'm good with it.

Anyways, did you like the sudden POV change? This book and any that follow will definitely have more and more surprise POVs I can promise you that. (You know, like this and Alec) do you guys remember Maggie? From when she saved Skylar in the first book?

Whether you do or don't, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and stay tuned for the the next chap of this and Our Overly Possessive Mates.

Also please do not be surprised if any new books are published. I have a few in the making and I'm very anticipated to get them up so please don't lash out at me when I add another story into the mix. I'll still update this, and my other story. I'm letting you know in advance so you don't flip shit.

Sorry if I sound snappy, I'm a bit tired and this was kind of rushed. Anyways the next chap will be much better, promise.

P.S. Love you guys

~dropsofargent