03. Voices

Ryan

"Oh right, I'm sorry, I've just been a little out of it lately." Skylar replied, giving Axel a sheepish smile. I couldn't help the worry that I felt every time I looked at her.

It was a bit worse now that she had brown hair. The color was just a reminder that something was wrong with her. Something strange was happening.

"Oh it's perfectly alright, Luna." Axel bowed his head slightly but Skylar waved it off. "I'm Axel."

"It's nice to meet you, Axel." She said, smiling sweetly.

"So what is it I was called here for?" Axel turned to me.

"Yesterday, Skylar woke up feeling pains throughout her body and now she says it's just a dull ache." I answered. "Then this morning she woke up and her hair was brown."

Axel's eyes narrowed as he looked over Skylar. Finally after a few moments of silence, he gestured for them to follow him. "Come. I'll need to inspect her in my office."

Skylar walked after him first. I could see the tenseness of her muscles and how she was walking slowly. I swallowed hard, feeling horrible that I couldn't help her. Jake tugged on my hair as I followed her down the stairs. "Papa, who was that?"

"That's the doctor, Jake." I said softly, not taking my eyes off Skylar. "He's gonna help Momma feel better."

"What's wrong with Momma?" Jake asked and for a second there I forgot he was only a year old. Werewolves tended to develop a lot faster than humans so it was quite easy to forget how old he was. His vocabulary was quite extensive. The only word he didn't seem to comprehend was okay.

"I don't know, Jake. I don't know." I followed Skylar and Axel past the kitchen and living room and down the hallway leading to the few offices in the house, including his.

Axel stopped at the second door on the left, turning the knob with his hand, he led Skylar in. He held the door open for Jake and I to walk in. Inside Skylar sat on the hospital bed, her eyebrows furrowed.

I sat in the chair in the corner, bringing Jake around to sit on my lap. Axel closed the door and walked up to Skylar.

"All right. Let's give you a simple check up to make sure all the vitals are in check, okay?" Axel asked, pulling out his stethoscope.

Skylar nodded. Axel placed the stethoscope on her chest. "Deep breath." She inhaled and exhaled. He moved the stethoscope to her back and repeated that a few times, before wrapping it around his neck.

He checked her ears, eyes, nose, and mouth. "Stand up for me." She stood and he lifted her arms up. He pressed his fingers on areas around her rib cage me back, each time she flinched.

I bit my lip. I definitely was not enjoying this. After a few more prods in different areas of her body, he stepped back and she lowered her arms.

"All signs point to growing pains." Axel stated, his lips pursed.

"Growing pains?" Skylar asked. "I'm 19 years old! I should be done growing by now!"

"Should be. But you have to remember, you're not human, Skylar. It could be numerous things. Just because you haven't shifted doesn't mean you won't." He answered.

"So she will?" I questioned.

Axel shook his head. "There's no guarantee of that either." He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm sorry Skylar, but the best we can do is wait it out, see what happens. If you'd like some pain medication I'd be happy to give you some."

She nodded slightly. "Yes please. But there's also my hair." She said. "Is there a scientific explanation for that?"

"Now that, I am unsure about. Have you ever died your hair?" Axel pondered.