04. The Animal Within

He's so cute omg

Skylar

Jake curled up against me and I pulled the blanket over top both of us. He was asleep instantly, his fingers clutching my shirt. I closed my eyes and found Ryan was right. The medicine made me extremely sleepy. I was out in seconds.

Or I thought I was. Next thing I knew a strong breeze picked up my hair and tickled my face. Ugh. I left the window open. But when I opened my eyes I wasn't in our room. Jake wasn't curled up next to me, and I was not in a bed.

I sat up and saw I was in a field of grass. The grass reached higher than my head sitting down so I couldn't see much. My eyebrows furrowed as I stood, the grass coming up to my waist. To my right, about fifty feet away, was the forest line I recognized from the park. To my left was endless field, endless grass, and endless sky.

The sky was a bright blue and speckled with fluffy white clouds. The sun shown bright right above my head, warming my face as I titled it upwards. It was quite a peaceful dream and my first thought was, it must've been the medicine. I usually dreamt about strange stuff. Usually stuff that happened later on which always scared me. But this was peaceful.

Which is how I immediately knew it wouldn't last. And boy was I right. I blinked and the next thing I saw was grey clouds and no sun. It grew dark around me as the moon came out. The wind picked up and I could smell the oncoming rain.

I looked back at the field and saw the grass was no longer green but a dark brown, dead looking color, swaying in the wind. My hair picked up and obscured my vision and it wasn't until I got that situated that I noticed the giant wolf standing ten feet in front of me.

Here we go.

The wolf was slightly smaller than Ryan and the complete opposite of him. It had albino white fur that glistened in the moonlight and green eyes that mirrored mine. It stared straight at me, sending shivers down my back.

It took a few steps forward as a female voice whispered in my mind. 'Hello Skylar.'

I took a single step back, watching the wolf reproachfully. "Um hi."

'You should be used to these kind of dreams by now.' She continued. 'They happen often don't they?'

"Not too often." I answered honestly. "The last dream I had was a few days ago."

'About your daughter?'

"Yes....." My eyes narrowed. "How'd you know?"

'Im in your mind Skykar. I know you in and out. I've seen your dreams over and over again.'

"Who are you?" I continued moving backwards when I suddenly came against this dead oak that curled around me, trapping me.

'Take a guess.'

I struggled against the branches while my mind worked trying to figure who this wolf could be. I let out an annoyed grunt when the branches didn't budge and it hit me. I met the wolf's eyes again.

"I thought that wasn't possible." I said quietly.

'Oh it's entirely possible. They just don't think it'll happen.' She answered. 'But the question is, do you?'

"I don't know."

'Well your dreams aren't just your imagination are they? They are pretty vivid, if you think about it.'

"Okay. So let's say it does happen." I yanked my left arm out of the tree's hold and brushed the hair out of my face. "When will it happen? And what would your name be?"