Chapter 28: Trouble

"How about we wander around the second floor and make our way to the first? I want to see the exhibits." I said turning to Frank still holding my glass of wine.

"Okay." Frank said shrugging.

"I think we'll stay here for now. I want to check the other appetizers." Gina said taking Andrew's hand and disappearing.

More people were pouring as Frank and I headed for the stairs that led to the second floor. The marble floor gave a very elegant feel to the whole place. The wood they used for the banisters had intricate carvings of some sort of flower. Wrapped around them were gold garlands with red berries.

After about twenty steps, we reached the landing and proceeded to take the next twenty. The hallway was lined with portraits of nobility dressed in their best garments. There were several archways that led to different rooms on both sides of the hall. 

I looked up and saw a banner advertising a temporary collection, on loan from one of the affluent families. 

I decided to see the temporary collection first, which was on the right side of the hall.

I walked past a portrait of a young man with his dog. He had long dark curly hair, his hand was on his chest, his face tilted slightly. His eyes looked symmetrical and his brows groomed. His nose was long and curved as it touched his thin upper lip. He sitting on a wooden chair and was dressed in brown and white ensemble and brown shoes while his dog lay sleeping by his left foot. He had a sort of elegance about him.

I made a right and walked into a room full of oil paintings. The room was shaped like a box divided into three sections, each with a focus on what type of painting hung. Some of the paintings were of landscapes and some were portraits of women and children, some of merchants  in a marketplace, and some of farmers harvesting crops. 

I decided to start with the first section and found myself  looking at portraits of women and children. Each painting, with its frame, was probably the size of a dinner table that can seat up to six people and the detail that went into them was carefully painted in. Each of them also had, at the lower right hand corner, a description of what it is, when it was commissioned or which year it was from, and who painted it. 

I loved the rich colors and the way the artist captured the emotions or lack thereof of people. One portrait was that of a girl, probably in her late teens with very curly blonde hair that fell above her shoulder. Her body was slightly turned towards the right. She was wearing a long empire waist baby blue dress, lined with white lace around the hem and the sleeves, which covered her feet. She was standing in front of a marble fireplace, her gloved hands resting in front of her. She was wearing a matching hat that covered part of her forehead.

What was striking was her facial expression. It looked like she was staring at something behind the artist, which made it look like she was staring at something behind someone looking at the painting. She had steely blue eyes and her chin was slightly tilted up. It was as if she was sizing up whoever was looking at the portrait.

She reminded me a little bit of Nina. I don't know why, but she did.

Frank walked behind me in silence as I read each description, sipped from my glass, and slowly moved from one painting to the next.

The second section was interesting, they were of merchants and townsfolk. It looked like some were in a city-setting, lots of old whitewashed buildings...some were brick. There were men, women, and children of all ages...peddling something. I could almost hear the cacophony of sounds in that bustling city. From afar, albeit very small, one could see a castle with turrets and a moat.

It was such a great painting of organized chaos, I thought. It reminded what office politics could look like while the Senior Leaders sit in their ivory towers. I smirked at the thought and shook my head.

"I'd love to know what was so funny about this painting." Frank mused as he gave it a closer inspection.

"Oh...nothing. The painting reminded me how good we have it in the office these days." I replied as Frank tilted his head and arched a brow.

"Not getting it." He replied reading the description to see if he can glean some insight as to why it was amusing to me.

"Forget it." I said half-jokingly as I moved to the next painting.

"Tell you what, how about I get us another glass and maybe I will see what it is that was so funny." He said taking my now empty glass.

"Ok." I said as he turned on his heel and walked away.

I came upon a painting of a field, the sun was setting and the farmers were harvesting the crops. One of them, however, was talking with a woman dressed like she too was part of the crew, not too far away. 

I shook my head and thought of the people who get by with doing the minimum needed in their daily jobs. 

Sigh.

"Well, you have to admit, this guy right here has his priorities straight." Jake said in a low voice. He was standing to my right and pretended to closely inspect the painting in front of us.

He pretended to inspect it from every angle and then finally straightened himself up and turned towards me.

"Maybe he's the supervisor or manager or something. She wants to work but, alas, she is a woman and he wouldn't allow her to work there." I smiled looking directly at the painting.

He chuckled as we looked at each other.

"You look very beautiful tonight." He said holding out his left hand, palm up.

I looked at him for a second and took his hand.

He then made me turn around while holding his hand.

"Wow." He said smiling broadly and admiring the dress I'm in. "Any chance we could dance at least once tonight?" He said as I slowly took my hand back.

I checked behind me to see if Frank was in sight. No sign of him.

"I don't wanna say  yes and disappoint you and I don't wanna say no because I want to." I whispered. 

"Then I will find you at the right time. Just like right now." He winked.

"Jake..." I said placing a hand on his arm, I felt his biceps tense.

"I know. You don't have to tell me." He smiled and nodded.

Just then, three people walked into the section we were in and started looking at the paintings. They looked like a young bunch who were there for the booze and fun times. They made their way through most of the paintings as Jake and I slowly walked from one painting to the next, sometimes talking about how vibrant the colors were.

When they were gone, he turned to me and grabbed me by the waist. Before I could protest, he planted a kiss on my mouth and quickly pulled away like nothing happened.

It took me a moment to find my balance and look around to see if anyone had seen. 

It was empty except for the two of us.

"I've been wanting to do that since I laid eyes on you tonight." He was smiling like a little boy who did something mischievous and wasn't caught.

He pulled me close and was now towering over me.

I was so afraid Frank would show up any minute. At the same time, I wanted so much to kiss him again.

He caressed my cheeks with the back of his hands and I closed my eyes.

I felt his lips touch mine and, as he did, my arms found a life of their own and wrapped themselves around him. He started kissing my lower lip and I found myself wanting him to do more. 

"You two should really get a room." A familiar voice said from behind. Jake and I slowly let go of each other. 

Crap.

I didn't have to guess who it was, I knew that voice. 

I turned around to face him. 

"George." Jake said pursing his lips.