Chapter 10: Jealous

My alarm didn't go off. I looked at the radio clock next to the bed. In big red analog numbers, it said seven thirty. Jake said he wanted to get breakfast around eight before heading to the HQ. I think I'll skip it.

I wasn't pleased with him leaving me like he did, but I do feel rested. I looked at my phone.

Right.

I was so annoyed at Jake I turned my phone off after he left...to disconnect from him, from George, from everything.

I pushed the power button then waited for it to come to life.

My mind started to wander...George. He loves me. I don't know how I feel about it but he at least deserves a response. Doesn't he? Maybe he doesn't want one, the whole reason he hung up on me. I wasn't ready to hear it from him, I guess. Love. Such a big word.

I got up and walked towards the closet.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a cream colored hotel envelope on the floor. It looked like someone slid it under my door.

Elizabeth. My heart started to beat faster when I saw that it was in Jake's writing.

The note was dated with today's date.

I care about you.

Don't be mad at me.

I will wait for you downstairs.

Yours.

He didn't sign it.

I folded it and placed it back in the envelope.

Dammit. I was going to stay mad at him.

My phone rang just as I was about to head for the shower. It was Frank. He's letting me know he has to fly to New York the day I get back and that the kids are going to a party at a friend's house. I asked him to make sure it's not one of those Pollard parties, they're known for spiking the drinks.

Jake was sitting in the lobby when I got off the elevator. He stood up and walked over.

"Morning." I chirped.

"Sleep well?" He placed his hands on my shoulder.

I nodded. To my surprise, he kissed me, on the mouth, in front of everyone. Then, he took my hand and led the way to the hotel restaurant to get breakfast. He didn't say anything about the note, neither did I. It can wait.

As soon as we reached HQ, the day just flew by. Back to back meetings were scheduled from the time we arrived. Different company stakeholders and different departments met with us to share their findings, brainstorm on potential issues and risks, and discuss contingency plans. For the most part, Jake and I were in the same meetings except for his last meeting, which was with the new Senior VP of Sales. I have never met him but his reputation precedes him as a no nonsense kind of guy, pretty atypical for someone in sales.

It was a little past six by the time we got back to the hotel. We barely had enough time to freshen up before the dinner with our EU colleagues. I changed from an office suit to a black sleeveless flounce dress.

Our ride picked us up at exactly seven. Our host then took us to a restaurant inside a hotel by the river. The restaurant's theme reminded me of New England. Very nautical. Paddles and fish nets lined the walls of the dimly lit place.

The host escorted all eight of us to a prepared table in the balcony overlooking the river. The sun was just setting and the weather was perfect. I picked a seat in the middle to have maximum exposure to the conversations. There was only other woman, the Head of EU Operations, and she sat at the far end of the table. Jake sat across from me.