Chapter 29: Double

"It's all my fault." Jake started to say.

I couldn't look George in the eye. How can I face him?

George held a hand up to stop Jake from speaking any further. I felt George look directly at me, shake his head, and walk away.

Dammit.

If it were between him and Frank walking in on us, I'd rather it was him.

"George!" Jake said going after him.

"Jake." I called out as he turned to look at me while trying not to lose sight of George.

"Don't worry. I will talk to him..." Jake was out of my sight before I could utter another word.

George knew about us, it's you who didn't know about George.

I stood there for a few minutes trying to play out different scenarios...Jake going after George and trying to explain what just happened. What would he say? What would George say?

I suddenly became very worried that George would bump into Frank and say something and started to head after them.

I made my way back to the first section of the exhibit when I saw Frank, walking towards me with two glasses of red wine.

He was grinning.

Good. He didn't see them. He doesn't know.

"Done already?" He handed me a glass as he air-swirled his.

"Yeah, they all started looking the same to me." I shrugged and nervously took two sips from my glass.

"Everything ok? You look concerned." He placed his arms around my shoulder as we walked towards the second floor hallway.

"Yeah. Everything's fine." I smiled nervously.

We walked out of the temporary exhibit and walked down the hallway.

Where could Jake and George be?

Dammit. I need to break away from Frank and find them.

"Frank, do you think you can get me a different drink instead? I think I want something other than red wine now." I saw him give me a surprised look.

"Okaaaay. What do you want?" He said playfully shaking his head.

"Something else please...ooooh. I know, I'll have a bubbly instead!" I smiled as he furrowed his brows.

"Sure...Ok. Be right back. Should I try to find you around this area?" He looked around as I handed my glass back to him.

"Yep." I said as he left, puzzled by my sudden penchant for a bubbly.

I started making my way around the exhibit, trying to find any hint of either Jake or Frank. I tried to listen but didn't hear either of them. I weaved in between the portraits to see who might be in the area. There was a group of Marketing folks, probably plotting the party after the party but I saw no sign of either of them.

After several minutes of unsuccessfully trying to find them, I decided to follow Frank to the bar. I kept looking around as I headed towards the side stairs.

"Can you just keep this to yourself until we figure out what to do?" I heard Jake's voice. I looked down and saw the two of them on the landing.

They didn't see me. I stopped and tilted my head, as if I could hear better what they were discussing that way.

"Hey, like I said. You don't have to worry about me." I heard George say nonchalantly.

"Ok. We're cool right?" Jake's voice echoed and I waited for George's response.