Chapter 24: Work

The last ten weeks have been a blur since I accepted the project that George and I had discussed. The project was a multimillion dollar deal, an acquisition and he needed my product development and quality expertise. He let me pick my team and asked to be involved, though not as much. Sometimes he would stay late but he always left right before everyone else on the team left. He gave us recommendations but he never imposed any of them, which was refreshing. He's been surprisingly very professional and a bit of a mentor about the whole thing.

I never raised the topic of our friendship again and he never, once, insisted that Nina and I make up. He never asked about Jake or Frank, but he does ask about my children. A safe topic, I assume. I wonder if he is seeing someone.

I looked out the window. I promised Frank that I would be home in time for dinner tonight and I intend to keep that promise. I looked my phone, it was five minutes past five o'clock. It was already starting to get dark.

Fall is my favorite season. I have always loved how the leaves change colors and the air turns crisp in the morning. I love bundling up but I do not care for snow. I wish it were like this and we skipped right to Spring.

It was Friday before Thanksgiving and the holiday party invitations have been sent out. Every year, the company sponsors a holiday party. This year it was going to be at the Portrait Gallery, spouses are invited.

I opened the electronic invitation, it was a dove holding a red card. When I clicked on the card it opened to reveal the details of the party. At the bottom, it asked for a response. Yes. No. Maybe. Guest? Yes. No.

I decided to RSVP for two then clicked on Submit. Soon after, I decided to shut down my computer.

I started to get up from my desk when my desk phone rang. A black square thing with multiple buttons, some were glowing in red. I do not really know what some of them were for.

I read the name of the caller. Jacob Clarke.

"Yes?" I said picking up and putting the earpiece to my ear.

"Are you alone?" He asked as he piqued my interest.

"Uh-huh." I replied as I undocked my laptop.

"Okay. I am coming over." He said before I could even protest.

I sighed and started to put everything in my purse and laptop bag. I looked through my inbox to check if there are additional files I need to bring home with me and work on over the weekend.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a cream colored envelope in between two red folders. It looked like one of those envelopes sent for a wedding invitation.

I pulled it out and flipped it over to check who it was from.

No sender info. In the middle, it only had my first name written in cursive.

I was about to open it when I heard a light tap on the door.

"Glad I caught you." Jake said as he kissed me on the cheek. Then on the mouth.

My eyes widened as he pulled away. Good thing Gina left early and the office is practically empty.

"I haven't got long, I promised Frank I'd be home in time for dinner." I said tucking the envelope in my purse.

"I won't keep you." He said grinning. "I...uhm....I....am going away on a trip...and you won't like it." He said walking around the office, head down.

"Go on." I said slowly.

Listening intently.

"I am traveling to Sweden for two weeks." He said stopping in his tracks and looking straight at me. "With Cara." He said as fast as he could.