Chapter 8 : The Princes Go Shirtless.

"Is it possible for home to be a person, and not a place?" 
- Anna and the French Kiss, by Stephanie Perkins.

 ♚  

The first day of the Karamanika started, the sun half appearing over the horizon, coloring the sky in an amazing shade of orange mixing with the early morning blue, but Prince Sebastian remained seated on the edge of his bed, staring out of his window.

He hadn't gotten a second of sleep the whole night, because he had been too surprised at what happened in the Princess' room the previous night. He shouldn't even have been effected by her words, then why did he feel like he did at that moment? What was it, anyway? Misery, terror, horror? He couldn't decide, but either way he was disappointed. Princess Adela was Princess Adela, and she could do anything she wanted to. If she wanted to Marry Prince Christian, then be it. Why did he care?

He frowned as slowly, the sun fully lightened up the whole Kingdom, followed by the aura of happiness that spread everywhere as the preparations were done for the festival. As much as Sebastian knew, the festival was basically for the locals of the Kingdom, and it was mainly held before the start of winter. Maybe it was for moral support, and encouragement, so that the people could get through the winters. He wasn't sure.

The servants soon knocked at his door, and he knew it was time he got ready. He shook every weird thought out of his brain before he got up to face the week, that now seemed longer than he'd expected.

  ♚

"Why are you frowning so much today?" Edgar said, as he walked beside Adela though the halls of the Palace. Archensheen already seemed bright and joyful, with servants hustling past them, everywhere throughout the Palace. Even the halls of the Palace were decorated colorfully. But no matter what she did, for some reason she wasn't able to get the frown off her face.

"I didn't sleep enough." Was all she said. Well, 'enough' could go for 'not at all', right?

Her brother eyed her, so she added, "I'd be fine when the festival starts. You know that."

"Yes." He sighed, "So, Prince Christian?" He said, smirking at her from the side.

She nervously readjusted the maroon dress she was wearing today. She was thankful how it wasn't as heavy as every other of her dresses, and it was far more breathable, "What of him?"

"He's got an eye you."

"He's got both eyes on me, Edgar." She smirked.

"I know what game you're playing, Adela." Edgar was all serious now, "I don't have a good feeling about it."

She didn't want to talk about it. Didn't feel like it when she'd just had a weird argument over it with Prince Sebastian. She had tried to go through it, tried to figure out what it was exactly that was bothering the Prince, but failed miserably after getting no amount of sleep, and just when she felt like her eyes were tired enough from staring out the window that long, she had heard loud knocks on her door, telling her it was time.

So she just groaned now and said, "I don't want to talk about it right now."

Her brother mocked a curtsy, "As you wish, Your Highness."