Chapter 3- Trying to understand her

Nikos’ P.O.V.

My Mate.

You have no idea how long I have been searching for her.

Ever since I was born, I was told that my mate was my other half, the one who would complete me. She would be chosen for me by the Moon Goddess herself. Someone who would love me and I would love her back with all my heart. She would be crowned as the next queen and she would give birth to my heir. It was a happily ever after, packed up in a neat little package for me.

I just never envisioned that meeting my mate, for the first time, would be like this.

Ever since she stepped through the doors, I was mesmerized by her. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her small, waif like figure entering the room. Only my mate could look so perfect and beautiful in a pair of prison clothes. Her long black hair cascaded down her shoulders, onto her back. I wanted her to look up from her bowed position; to look at me just once. Finally, when my eyes met her deep, black captivating eyes, I felt the world come to a stop. It was only the two of us and I devoured her hungrily with my eyes. A fierce sense of protectiveness took over me.

I had to get her out of here, to a safe place, away from all these people.

It was only when I was dragging her to my room that my human brain started working.

My mate was from the Hollow Death pack.

The pack that was responsible for the mass murders of several werewolf packs in the country.

The pack that I had been chasing after, for the past 4 years.

Why had the Moon Goddess chosen her as my mate? She was perfect, I couldn’t deny that. But, she was still from that vicious pack of murderers. I tried to grasp on some threads of common sense, while my wolf continuously snarled at me for doubting my mate.

As I looked at her, I saw that she had the same emotionless face from the time she had walked into the court room. While I flitted through feelings of happiness, possessiveness and rage, she had maintained the same face throughout. It was the same emotionless mask of all the pack members I had witnessed, as they went through hours and hours of torture in the prison cells.

I felt my mood worsen at each step I took.  

The final straw was when she asked me to reject her. I bit back a reply- some crap about wanting an heir. I regretted it immediately, when I saw a flash of pain pass through her eyes. She lowered her eyes before I could be sure.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was pacing around my room for the past 10 minutes. My mate had locked herself up in the bathroom and I could hear the sound of the shower running.

She was really taking her time.

The minute she closed the door behind her, I felt loneliness settle on me. The feelings that I had developed for her in the past hour were more than I had felt for my entire life. The amount of effect she had on me and my wolf was overwhelming. My wolf just wanted to hug her tightly and hold her there for the rest of my life. Pathetic, I know.

My hand was clenched too tight that my knuckles had turned white. I was controlling myself from ripping the door off its hinges and dragging her towards me, where she was supposed to be.

At long last, I heard the door open and my mate stepped out slowly, looking at the floor as though the pattern on it interested her immensely. She was dressed in a bathrobe; MY bathrobe. It suited her far better than it had ever done on me. I immediately felt myself harden and sincerely hoped that she wouldn’t notice it. Her hair lay wet on her back and her bare legs were glistening with water.

She was really not helping the situation here.

I cleared my throat to get her attention. Her eyes finally left the floor and looked at mine.

Damn. I could never get used to how beautiful those eyes were.

“The medical team is waiting outside. Should I call them in?” , I asked her.

She gave a small nod and I quickly mind linked them to enter. A group of three female doctors entered the room, as I had requested. I couldn’t bear the idea of any male approaching my mate, even if he was a doctor.

I nodded at them and motioned them towards my mate. One of the doctors approached her and looked at the injuries on her wrists, arms and ankles. I cringed when I noticed the red marks and bruises on her skin. I would personally see that all those who did this to her would be skinned alive.

“Can I see if you are hurt anywhere else?”, the doctor asked her pointing to her bathrobe.

I saw my mate’s eyes land on me. “I cannot with him here”, she said looking at me directly.

“I am NOT going anywhere”, I said, my voice hardening with fury.

“Then I’m not going to get treated”, she bit back. Her face was still emotionless, but her eyes had become more alive with swirls of fury dancing in them.

I was amused at her reaction. I finally saw some genuine emotion on her face.

“Sweetheart, I’m sooner or later going to see underneath that bathrobe. You don’t have to be shy about such a small thing”, I told her grinning.   

She once again seemed very fascinated with the pattern on the floor. I saw a small tinge of red appear on her cheeks and it disappeared as quickly as it came. Her mouth turned into a stubborn line. I knew that she would not budge until I left the room.

I sighed. “Just this once”, I said.

I shot a warning glance to the three doctors to take care of my mate. They nodded frantically in agreement and I saw their hands shake a little in fright.

I took a final glance at my mate standing in my room and then closed the bedroom door softly behind me.