Chapter 9 - Rash Meddling

Elsie’s POV

I got the news when I woke up.

Actually, I woke up with my mom screaming at the top of her voice to get my ass out of bed and hurry to the palace.

The prince had marked his mate. This was a news people had been waiting to hear for the past decade.

The people in the palace were jumping around with joy, and absurd rumors of a pregnancy and a royal heir started floating around. I happily chatted and drank in all the rumors from the palace maids. The maids begged me to meet the Royal mate to get them more juicy titbits. The news about me being chummy with Kyla had made me instantly popular overnight.

At the clinic, I volunteered to check on Kyla to see if such early marking without her wolf had affected her health in any way. The doctors were very envious of my nearness to Kyla but didn’t seem very eager to approach her.

As I walked into the room I realized that I had stepped into a very tense atmosphere. Kyla was sitting on the bed very rigidly and the Prince was having a very desperate and anguished look on his face.

Nevertheless, he turned an annoyed face towards me as though I had interrupted them at a very critical moment. However the look of utter relief on Kyla’s face as she turned towards me was worth the prickly, glowering looks the Prince kept throwing towards me.

“I’ll just examine her mark and be on my way”, I told him getting an annoyed growl in response.

Kyla looked at me desperately trying to convey an unspoken message towards me. The look on her face was that of an innocent, naïve girl who got into a romantic situation with her long time crush and was not sure of how to deal with it.

If yesterday someone would have told me that I would be friends with the Royal assassin mate, I would have laughed at their faces.

However, today I felt a strong sense of protectiveness towards her.

I turned towards Prince Nikos. “Your Highness, Could you step out for a moment while I examine the princess?” I queried quietly.

The look he cast me would have made a lesser person shrivel and die on spot. But, I stood there with a stubborn face.

“Why?” he growled.

Stubborn, arrogant, possessive mate.

Now that he had marked her, he was not letting her get out of his sight.

He was supposed to know her by now. Yet he couldn’t see how overwhelmed she was by his possessiveness.

 “The mark is getting affected by your nearness. I should check and see if she is alright. Especially since she was marked when her wolf is absent. Please, Your Highness, you need to step out for some time.”

You should never lie to a Royal. Yet, the absurd situation warranted this life threatening act.

There was a slight tremor at the end of by big, fat lie. I crossed my fingers hoping that he wouldn’t realize.

He cast an anxious look at his mate’s face. Kyla looked at him and their eyes became glassy as they shared ‘The Look’ that I have seen plenty of love-struck mates exchange with each other. But both of them looked away stubbornly, as they realized what they were doing. It was like they didn’t want the other to know how besotted they were which each other.

A squeal of glee passed through my head.

I loved this couple. They were far better than my favorite couples in ‘The High School Musical’ and ‘The Vow’.