Chapter 12 - Hiding Facts

I had finally managed to send away Elsie from the room. The annoying girl always seemed to be hovering around my mate. At the back of my mind I had the nagging feeling that Kyla didn't want her to leave, but I stubbornly pushed it aside. I was tired of having to deal with a third wheel between us. 

The Royal Ball.

Just 1 more day... not counting today, that is.

I have just got to make sure that my unsuspecting mate didn't know the meaning of it.

Before she realized it, I would present her before everyone and declare her as the future queen and then there would be no stepping back for her.

Not that there was a chance for that to happen anyway. But setting it in concrete, would make me feel more at ease. I was tired of Kyla trying to avoid me all the time.

I sighed inwardly when he saw her move quietly to the corner bookshelf.

What was I going to do with her?

How could I begin to understand her?

I heard a firm knock on the door.
Who was it now????

I strode towards the door ready to snap at the person standing outside. Holding the handlebars, I flung open the door to reveal my mother.

I felt suddenly apologetic to my angry thoughts. Wait! Judging from her look she didn't come to talk to me, she came for Kyla. I went on high alert and positioned myself to block her view to the room.

I could feel Kyla leave to bookcase and walk towards me.

"Mother, what is this about?", I questioned trying to put on a genuine enquiring smile. It felt like the smile was coming  rigid and plastered on my face. Judging from her expression, I was not fooling her with my casuality.

By then, Kyla had already reached behind me.
"It's about the ball, Son", my mother spoke pointedly at me. She faced Kyla, "There are a lot of things to prepare before the ball. Clothes, and jewelry and guests to invite. Kyla, if you want to push back the date, please say so. Your opinion counts as much as Nikos'". I could hear a note of pleading in her voice. She was trying to manipulate Kyla into telling yes.

I was pissed off at her. My lips turned into a grim line. I put my hand on Kyla's shoulders and pulled her to my side. I could feel her tense up against me.
"Mom, I'm sure you're more than capable of arranging the clothes and jewelry. Anything would look good on her...", I noted with a slight amount of pride in my voice. I felt my mates eyes on me when I told this. "As for the guests, just send a broadcast invite to the werewolf community... There is nothing much to plan in this. There's no need to push the date back for no reason", I told her firmly, unwavering in my stance regarding the date.

I narrowed my eyes at my mother and mind linked her, "Mom, leave now. I really don't want to fight with you on this. Whatever she needs to know, I'll tell her..."

Mom looked and me and then Kyla trying to find a leeway to continue spouting out unnecessary information.

A triumphant smile was slowly drawing in my mind seeing my mother give up.

Just then, I felt Kyla wriggle out of my hold, brushing my hand away from her shoulders. She crossed her hands and looked directly at the queen, "I know that I'm missing out on something. I want to know more about the details of this Ball", she told resolutely.

I was shocked to see her speak up. Judging from the queen's open mouth she was too.... Most people would consider Kyla a timid cute girl, clueless even, judging from her peaceful expressions and quiet presence. But now, judging from her direct query I realise that she was not someone that things passed by without her noticing.

Yeah, I frowned thinking to myself, I prefer an intelligent mate rather than a clueless, dumb one.

But, this was not the time to applaud my mate luck.

The situation was not turning out in my favor.

I grabbed my mom's hand and pulled her with me to the corridor, making sure to slam the door on Kyla's annoyed face.