Chapter 5- Green-eyed monster

Kyla’s P.O.V.

Nikos and I were walking along the long corridor with paintings on both sides of the walls and a plush red carpet on the floor. The last time I had walked this way was when I was dragged out of my own trial. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts that I had failed to notice the wealth and grandeur that this place held. I had also somehow failed to notice the guards that were positioned along every corridor of the palace. Or maybe they weren’t there before?

Soon we turned into a different path, which I assumed was taking us towards the breakfast room.

When I had come out from taking a bath, the entire room was filled with clothes hanger trolleys with myriad colored clothes. Since I had asked for t-shirts and jeans, all the hangers were filled with only t-shirts and jeans of varying colors and patterns. Though, how they had managed to bring together such a wide collection of clothes, in such a short time, I had no idea.

After browsing through a few hangers, I settled on my usual choice of clothes: grey long sleeved t-shirt with black jeans. Ok, so I didn’t have much fashion sense. I had usually preferred to dress in practicality and comfort rather than style. It’s not like I could change myself in one day.

Nikos almost took my breath away when he entered the room. He was dressed in black jeans and dark brown suede jacket with a light green shirt underneath, making his eyes shine like precious emeralds.  I felt really inadequate beside his model like looks. I felt that I should have done a little more about my looks, than tied my hair in a simple pony and dressed in gray and black.

We were walking a lit bit apart from each other. I had the strongest urge to scoot closer to him and take his hand in mine. I was like a moth drawn to a bright burning flame. I had the strangest feeling that even my mate felt the same way because he kept clenching and unclenching his hand. Both of us were waiting for the other one to make the first move.

We entered another huge room with grand crystal chandeliers and numerous paintings on the walls. There were several bouquets of flowers placed on the strategically positioned tables at the various corners of the room. Out of habit, I began to count the windows, mark the positions of the guards, check out the weapons they carried, search for the doorways out of the room and in general mark out all the escape routes out of this room, in my head. I could even make a small map of the castle doorways and corridors that I had travelled since yesterday. Being directionally impaired wasn’t exactly a choice, if all your life, you had to make quick escapes from dangerous situations.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw the scrutinizing look that Nikos was giving me. I immediately became fascinated with a painting of a horse in a meadow beside one of the doorways.

We were walking along one of the corridors, when the worst of all my nightmares appeared.

A red, curly haired girl came walking towards us with a huge smile on her face. She was wearing a red tube dress that extended just a little below her butt. It perfectly accentuated her voluptuous figure, and strangely enough made her look both sophisticated and sultry.

What pissed me off most was, that she was looking at Nikos like he was HER possession. She barely spared me a glance as she headed straight towards him and placed a kiss on his cheek. Instead of rebuffing her, Nikos smiled at her.

“Thalia, it’s nice to see you again. What brings you here?”

“Dad came to meet King Louis. I tagged along with him.”

I stood at one side, completely forgotten, while both of them spoke fondly to each other.

She was lucky that along with being trained in martial arts, I had been trained for long hours to strengthen my self-restraint. If not, her tight little butt would right now be hitting the floor at the other end of the corridor.