Chapter 16

The Ball was in full swing with dancing couples and waiters swerving though groups of people drinking and socializing.

There was quite a stir when the Prince had walked in with his mate by his side. Any bystander looking at her would completely mistake her as a very beautiful, delicate and perfectly innocent woman.

There were a lot of whispers that started around and Kyla was getting snippets of conversation here and there. But Nikos kept giving glowering looks to anyone with even a hint of animosity that the entire hall was subdued to conversation that skirted around food and weather.

Amidst all the gala, Kyla was getting increasingly aware of one thing.

Nikos had not removed his hand from her waist.

In fact, now he had curled it round her back and her one side was plastered to his, making them seem like one entity.

Not that she minded this. In fact, she felt at ease having him by her side. She was just slightly puzzled about why this felt perfectly normal, when it shouldn't.

Wait.

Wasn't she worried about the wrong thing right now?

Kyla's warning senses were tingly. She involuntarily sniffed the air.

Amidst the gayness, there was a thin layer of uneasiness hanging in the air which was slowly cracking the normal aura of the revelry.

Kyla noticed the various expressions of the glances directed towards her. Most of them were scared furtive glances, some were blatantly curious, some perplexed and a few were filled with pure hatred.

Kyla was trying to ignore it all but she was starting to get a little worried with the rigid stance of her mate standing beside it.

Nikos was aware about this and he was not liking it at all.

But there was one known fact.

No one can change a person's attitude or emotion towards another person by force.

Not even Nikos.

And the hatred they felt towards Kyla was solid and genuine.

Just because she suddenly turned out to be a royal mate, wouldn't matter to the werewolves.

Her past far beyond overshadowed her present reality.

As the Ball progressed, the crowd was feeling the invisible cloud of restlessness fall over them.

Everyone already knew the reason for the Ball - the coronation of the future queen. But most hoped and wished that the King and Queen wouldn't make such a hasty decision.

But looking at the proceedings now, the way the Prince and his mate was getting along, they were fast losing hope.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A champagne glass clinked for attention.

It was time.

The whole crowd fell into an uneasy silence.

The Royal family took the center stage to make the announcements.

The King was not ready. He sensed the people's agitation. But there was no turning back now. The decision was made.

The king cleared his throat.

"Most of you are aware that this occasion was called for a very special purpose. The coronation of the future Queen."