- U N C O N S C I O U S -

I wait in the dining room nervously waiting to hear about Olive and Enoch. I sit down on the couch next to Bronwyn anxiously tapping my foot. Why am I acting like this? "What's wrong Mae?" I think about that for a minute. I don't care if they end up together. "You know what, everything's fine. Couldn't be better" I smile and she drags me outside to go play with her and the other kids.

We are playing soccer with Hugh and Millard. I have kind of forgotten about the whole situation. I'm trying so hard to forget about him, but I can't. I stand still contemplating life when I hear "Mae watch out" I quickly turn around to see the soccer ball heading my way. I'm too late and it hits me in the face with great force.

I clutch my right cheek and Hugh, Millard and Bronwyn all run up to me. They are shouting things at me but all I can hear is mumbling. My head spinning, and my ears ringing. My head gets heavier and heavier until fall to the ground and let the darkness consume me.

(Enoch POV)

I walk out of the library holding Olive's hand. Time for the plan. I know it sounds bad me using Olive to get to Mae, but that's how much I care about her. I've never felt that way about anyone. When Mae showed up, it's like something clicked; a feeling I have never felt before in my life.

We walk hand in hand ready to walk out the back door when we hear footsteps running towards us. "Miss Peregrine, Miss Peregrine. Come quickly Mae got hit with a ball and she's on the floor asleep" Bronwyn's voice echoed through the house. High heels echoed down the stairs "she what?"

We all ran outside to see Mae unconscious on the floor. "Enoch, can you gently pick her up and lay her down in her room please?" I nod my head and follow miss p's instructions.

I gently scoop her up and carry her towards her room bridal style. She's surprisingly light as a feather. I gently lay her on her bed and she curls up to her side, shaking. She starts talking in her sleep "why. Why did you do that to me?" She softly mumbles. She starts shaking again, this time a small amount of sweat gathers up at the top of her forehead. I want to wake her up and tell her everything's alright, but I can't. Because it's not. I thought we had something, but she goes and helps Olive admit her feelings for me. Maybe she just thinks of me as a friend, that I will never know.

I decide to sit next to her bed until she wakes up. Not because of any feelings; just because she can be comforted and reassured when she does wake up.

I wonder what happened to Mae for her to be knocked out this hard. Must have been bad. I remain in the same spot just watching her. I tuck a stray piece of her hair behind her ear. I hear footsteps and quickly put my hand back down. "Is she ok?" I hear a small innocent voice say. Bronwyn. "I'm not sure at the moment, but I think she will be"
"You like her don't you?"
"What? No of course I don't" I reply
She laughs and sits next to me beside her bead.

It's getting late and Bronwyn begins to yawn. She leans into my side, and surprisingly I let her. "I hope she wakes up soon" she mumbles lightly. "Trust me, so do I" Bronwyn closes her eyes, and I sit there awaiting the long sleepless night ahead.
"Goodnight Mae"