- S A F E -

A whole week. That's how long it's been since I've talked or even met eyes with Enoch. He's been shutting me out, ignoring me ever since the double peculiarity scenario.

It's been quite awkward to say the least. Brushing past each other as we both pass through the narrow hallways. Sitting across from each other at the dining table. It was hard.

On the eighth day, I found myself spending most of the day in my room minding my own business. I sat on my bed looking through the window at all of the kids running around and enjoying themselves. I wish I was that age; not having to worry about relationships and all that stuff.

My thoughts are interrupted when I feel someone plonk down next to me. I sigh. "What's up Bronwyn?"

"It's not impossible you know?"

Confusion spreads across my face after I recognise the voice. A deep manly voice with that thick cockney accent. Enoch.

"What are you talking about?"

"We could leave here and live proper lives. Then we could be happy. I've only been in this time loop for five years, so that would make me only 22 when we leave. We could do it" His whole face lightens up for the first time ever, sending my stomach to flutter.

No, I can't make the same mistake again.

"First you say you love me, then you completely shut me out. And now you want me to leave with you to who knows where. You are unbelievable. You know what no, I can't do it. And I don't think I want to after what you did to me." I once regret everything I just said after seeing the disappointment struck those chocolate brown eyes that I once fell in love with.

"Mae, please I know things have happened in the past but we can start again. If we leave I won't be the way I've been. We won't be banned from speaking to each other. We can just live a happy life we deserve."

I slowly start to grow to the idea, but there's one thing holding me back.

"Enoch, honestly I would love to leave and live a normal life. But I just can't. I'm scared"

He moves closer and takes my hands in his large ones.
"It's ok. I'll help you get through it"

"Yeah but. It's just- I know it sounds weird, but I'm scared of dying. I like the idea of living forever and never growing up and getting old. I just want to stay where I am, and live the rest of these days over and over again"

A smile creeps onto his face. It's not a true happy smile, more like a disappointed one.
"Whatever makes you happy"

A wave of emotions take over and I run into his arms. He holds me tight towards his chest, the sound of his steady heartbeat putting me to ease. I feel safe here; wrapped tightly in his embrace with his head resting on top of mine. Safe enough to feel like nothing could ever hurt me as long as he's here.

A sentence barely audible escapes his lips.

"I love you"

He loves me.

Enoch actually loves me.

I can't believe it. Who ever thought those words would leave his mouth. I don't know what to say back, instead I just hug him tighter.

Maybe things are finally beginning to work out.

-

After Horace had played his dreams, everyone headed up to go to sleep. Everyone was already in bed, and now it was just me and Enoch alone in an empty hallway.

He smiles slightly before motioning for me to come to him. He places his arms out and I find myself comfortable in his warm embrace once again.

"Goodnight Enoch" I say breaking the hug. I turn around to walk to my room, when he grabs my hand preventing me from leaving.

A small pout forms on his lips. And I sigh and roll my eyes at his gesture. He grabs my hand and I follow him into his room.

He picks me up at his door, and walks over to his bed before gently placing me down. Enoch hops in next to me, pulling the blankets over the both of us.

We now lay face to face. Ink blue eyes facing chocolate brown. His curls are messily placed on his head and he lets out a yawn. Enoch's left arm goes around my waist, pulling me closer toward him.

"Goodnight Mae"

"Goodnight Enoch"

His eyes close and I think about how much he has changed as a person. Almost seeming happier.

Before I am able to stop myself, three words I never thought I would say escape my lips.

"I love you"

Even though his eyes are closed, he smiles bringing me even closer. My head is now nuzzles into the side of his neck.

"I love you too. Forever and always"