Chapter 1

Jonathan's P.O.V.

*beep* *beep* *beep*

I snooze my alarm clock that was right beside me. I groan and sat up on my bed. There was just one mattress with a sheet and one blanket. Sighing, I get up and started to head towards my bathroom for a shower.

The warmth of it made me think and relax for the day that's coming up for me today. I have to go look for a job since my last one let me go.

Turning it off, I quickly leave and headed towards my closet for some fresh clothes. While doing so, I brush my teeth along with putting on my shoes. I was going to be late.

After awhile of getting ready, I headed out into the streets.

Early morning, with the sun out, barely any clouds, and the perfect temperature kept me happy. I take it all in and look around me.

Life.

Just another thing that kept me going and wonder all about. It was always a mystery to me on why people work nonstop or how everyone thinks it's unusual to not have a job.

As I was thinking, I didn't even realize that I got to my favorite café within a few minutes.

Before I entered, I went up to those newspaper stands and payed for my own. I entered and took my usual spot in the corner, away from people that is.

"Same order, Jon?" I hear.

I look up and see a close friend, Amy.

"Yeah, Amy. Same order, but this time, coffee, if that's okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, no problem," she says with a smile.

I smile back and open up the wanted section in the newspaper. I grab a pen and circle the ones that look interesting and crossed out the ones that look stupid or weird. But one caught my eye.

'WANTED: New maid/butler. Working for Evan Fong. Must be 18+ and willing to live in the same household. Payment- $20 per hour. If interested, please call: 505-555-1246'

I looked at it and had curiosity with it. Then I heard clanks on the table, causing me to jump and look at my food.

"Here you go, Jon. Everything okay?" She asks.

"Yeah, but do you have a few minutes?" I ask her.

"Yeah. MARK! I'm going on break!" She says.

I see red hair coming from the back and shouting, "Alright! Only five minutes though, Amy!"

She nods and sits down.

"So what's up?"

"I got laid off at my job a few days ago. Now I'm looking for another one," I simply say.

"Any particular reason why you got laid off?"

"They said it was because the over staff they had."

"That's bull."

"I know, but now as I was looking through these ads, I saw one that looked weird."

"Let me see."

I gave it to her a showed her, she seemed amazed by the payment.

"Damn. Twenty dollars an hour? I'd say take it! But are you a clean person? I mean, a butler needs perfection and like, manners and stuff."

"I am clean! And plus, manners are usually my thing."

"True, you are polite about that stuff."

"So should I?"

"Yeah, I say go for it."

*DING*

I look up and see Mark looking at us. Amy sighed and got up.

"Gotta go, Mark said that if I stay on top of things tonight, our date will be amazing tonight!" She says, as if she was fangirling.

"Cool, haha. Okay, see ya Amy! Hope you have fun tonight," I say with a smile.

"See ya, Jon!"

I look down at my food once more and then the ad. I sigh and tried to finish up.

-

After finishing, I went up to a payphone and put in some change before dialing the number. I hesitated at first then dialed in the numbers.

It was ringing. After I would say two to three rings, someone answered.

"Hello?" I hear.

"Um, hello. My name is Jonathan Dennis. And I'm calling to ask about the butler position still being open?" I say.

"Oh! Yes! It is still open! Are you free anytime this week for an interview?" They ask.

"Yes, um, how about tomorrow? Anytime would be okay with me."

"Hmm, how about... around eleven a.m?"

"That would be great! Um... What will be the address for the interview?"

"1085 Pine Grove Lane. It is a home interview. So it'll be in the hills, if that is alright with you."

"Yes, it will be fine. Thank you. See you then?"

"Excellent. See you then, Mr. Dennis."

They hung up. I had shivers down my back and hung up too. I sigh then begin to walk home. A million questions go through my mind.

"I wonder what he looks like," I say to myself.

As I say that, I got a shot of nervousness. I also forgot about the fact that I needed a suit for this interview since it does pay well.

"I wonder if Mark has a suit to let me borrow," I say again to myself.