Ꮚ Chapter 8 Ꮚ

Ꮚ Chapter 8 Ꮚ

     "I don't understand what you have against Jeremiah," Kyle said. "Personally I like the guy. You know one time I was taking a test and he was sitting next to me," Kyle started. "And so of course, I copied it. So he realized right? But he was totally chill about it, in fact, he moved his test so I can see it better." 

     "That's nice," I said not caring about his opinion. I glanced over at the small house while hiding in the bush. I licked my lips together and prepared myself for what we were about to do. Scanning the ground, I checked off a mental list of what we needed. A pizza box, mask, the laptop, and gloves. I think that's about right.

     "Besides," he continued as he fixed his Pizza Store uniform. "He won't steal your girl."

     I raised my eyebrows and frowned. "What girl?"

     "Jenna, obviously," he replied in a 'duh' tone.

     "I barely know her," I said defensively. "And she is not my girl."

     "You wish she was," he teased.

     My heart beat slightly accelerated as a wave of heat took over my cheeks and I turned red. I played with my fingers suddenly feeling nervous. "It's not like that," I explained. "We have to do a project together and she might be in trouble."

     "Mmm," he hummed mischievously and got up. "You think whatever you want to think, but I have a job to do."

     "You're not actually a delivery boy," I chuckled.

     "And you're not actually a superhero," he shot back.

     "Yet," I finished his sentence as he rolled his eyes.

     He took the pizza box and started walking towards Jeremiah's home. I watched as the blonde nerd opened the door and smiled at Kyle. They began talking until eyebrows were quirked up as he stared at Kyle, perplexed with the situation he was put in. I paid close attention to what they were saying, controlling my sense of hearing.

     "I didn't order any pizza." Jeremiah leaned against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest. He pursed his lips waiting for a reply.

     "What do you mean?" Kyle frowned while holding a pizza box.

     One thing Kyle was actually good at was acting. He always used that talent to his advantage. Right now he was using it to the fullest. I stayed by the bushes in hiding, making sure Jeremiah wouldn't notice me. I inched closer to his house hoping to gain access to an entering without getting caught. Kyle quickly glanced at me and subtly nodded. I slipped on the gloves and mask, readying myself to break in. You're probably wondering what's happening, yes? Well, use some of that non-superhuman common sense of yours and figure it out.

     Sorry. I can't tell you everything. I gotta keep some suspense flowing here. Wink.

     "Wait a second," Jeremiah said he then called Tobe and asked him about it.

     "I didn't order any pizza," the younger boy said.

     I took this as a chance to go in. I opened one of the side windows slowly and looked closely to see if anyone was in the room. My pupils dilated, enhancing my vision. I noticed a little girl cooped up on a leather couch. Her head was set on a pillow as soft snores were heard from her. She was asleep. Good. I lightly placed my foot through the space between the window and slid in quietly.

     "I don't understand," Kyle feigned innocence and ignorance as he spoke to Jeremiah.

      That's right, keep stalling.