Ꮚ Chapter 28 Ꮚ

Ꮚ Chapter 28 Ꮚ

     In the end, no one really figured out what happened that eventful and scarring night. Some claim that Dark Wonder murdered every single member of the gang and became a vigilante. Others say that he walked away from the superhero path. Certain people believe that he killed YIN-YANG himself. Kyle declared that Dark Wonder did everything possible to save the day.

     But I'll let you see what truly happened. The events that played out during those dark hours were nothing I expected and nothing that could have been predicted. And the man behind the mask is something I will never forget. It taught me a few things.

     I was staring down at the ground helplessly, unable to let myself believe that Jenna was now gone. The rain continued to aggressively crash down against us. With every droplet that fell, I knew that this was all real. I wasn't dreaming. My eyes were wide filling up with more tears.

     "Lucas," Kyle shouted as I stood up. He took a hold of my hand and attempted to calm me down. It was pointless of him to even try. "You don't really mean that, right?" A nervous chuckle escaped his lips as I yanked my hands off his grip. His eyes grew wide and he grabbed my hand once again, this time he was more serious. "You said you would never kill anyone. Remember? You wouldn't kill anyone."

     Oh, I remembered. But that was under different circumstances.

      "They killed her!" I yelled through glistening eyes from the tears that I shed. I clenched my jaw and continued with a hoarse voice. "It's my fault, Kyle."

     "Your fault?!" He gawked, his eyes filled with confusion and disbelief. He seemed appalled at that idea itself. "You didn't kill her. You didn't do anything wrong." He told me with both hands on my shoulders. "This. Is. Not. Your. Fault." He said every word firmly, trying to prove his point, but I knew it was my fault entirely.

     "I didn't save her," I felt a lump in my throat as I clenched my fists. I covered my eyes with my hands, attempting to cover up the tears. My body quivered and I shook my head. "I'm a super-h-hero, right? I-It's what I'm s-supposed to do. It's my fault. It's all my fault."

     Kyle's lips tugged downwards as he frowned at me. I didn't like the look he was giving me. "You're overthinking this," he whispered.

     "I'm over thinking this!?" I repeated, my voice harsh and agitated. "She's dead, Kyle! She's gone. And I didn't do anything to save her." I pointed at myself. "I did absolutely nothing!"

     He opened his mouth, about to deny everything I said but I didn't continue our conversation and ran off. I knew that he wouldn't be able to follow me or catch up in time to talk me out of this. I took out my earpiece and threw it on the ground, making sure that I had no interruptions. Thoughts played through my mind as I began to question everything. I questioned the very reason why I became a superhero.

     I'm not a good person. That's what people tell me. I get detentions. I skip classes. I don't care about my grades. I get mixed up with gangs. I'm the bad boy. Why did I ever think about being a superhero? Just because I got powers didn't mean I needed to use it for good. I could have been the villain. I could have been nothing and carry on.

     But no one understood me. No one realized that I'm not this label that people have given me. I didn't choose this title but I went along with it. Maybe that's why I decided on becoming a superhero. I wanted to prove that I was a good person. That I don't want to hurt people. That I wanted to help them. I never could comprehend why people were scared of me.

     Was it because of my appearance? Just because I looked older than my age someone thought I was a pedophile. Because I have black eyes and hair I can't be friendly? I know I'm not the best person out there but I know I'm also not the worst.