Chapter ♚ Seven

The Wolf Prince | Chapter Seven

I thought about what Harley asked me during my training with Erik later that day. Today we decided to try some hand to hand combat instead of using weapons, yes I had suggested this due to the fact that Grayson and I were attacked by the rogue alpha last night, but I didn't tell Erik that, and what my father doesn't know wont hurt him.

"How do you tell apart an enemy from an ally?" I quiz Erik, dancing around him on the balls of my feet. "I mean," I continue, "How can you tell who to really trust?" Erik drops his hands to his sides in thought.

"An ally is someone that is loyal to you I guess. . .  I don't really know Shira. Especially right now with the Prince missing and no treaties in place between the packs I'd say you can't really trust anyone."

"Helpful," I mumble, sending a swift uppercut towards his jaw.

"Well," he reply's dodging my shot, "I'd stick to trusting whoever the alpha trusts, Shira. Once Darren, uh, your father resigns as alpha it'll be your choice on whom to and not to trust yourself and with the pack business."

"Great, until then I get to watch my father mingle with my enemy." I reply, catching Erik's closed fist in the palm of my hand.

"Who? Alpha of Glassmeadows?" He asks, quickly dropping down in a crouch avoiding my side kick.

"Yes, Grayson." I confirm, letting my hands drop to my sides. "I'm done for now," I breathe, dusting dirt off of my fighting leathers.

"Until tomorrow then,' he says and gives a little nod. I nod in return and make my way toward the pack house. My father arrived back from the Shadowland earlier this morning and I have yet had the opportunity to discuss yesterday's event with him. I maze through wooden corridors and find myself before my fathers study. I knock.

"Come in," my fathers rough voice comes from behind the wood. I enter to see his office a wreck. Piles upon piles of pack documents and files lay scattered across his large oak desk, and lay stacked in heaps on the floor. "I don't understand, I don't understand." I hear my father repeat under his breath constantly, anxiously ruffling through papers.

"No luck?" I question, pushing aside a pile of papers to take a seat across from him.

"The Princes' disappearance just doesn't add up to me," he mumbles, frantically slicking his dark hair away from his face, worry lines crease his forehead in stress. "There has to be more to the story, he didn't show any sign of not wanting to rule the crown before his fathers death," He looked up to me with a sigh, "In fact he was ecstatic to be crowned Prince, to follow in his fathers footsteps, to carry on the family's legacy." He burry's his face in his hands.

"Maybe it's not as complicated as you think, I mean his father did die, death changes people," I whisper, sinking lower into my chair thinking of my mother, the mother I hardly met before I was kidnapped, the mother I hardly got to know once I was found, before she was murdered. "You should know that."

"I know," he mutters, his voice muffled by his hands. "However, that theory is not going to stop my search. I have made a few temporary decisions and I'm going to need you to cooperate with me for the time being, okay Shira?" He looks up at me seriously.

"Okay..." I trail off, waiting for him to continue.

"I've decided that you, along with the rest of our pack will be staying with in the Glassmeadows pack since I will be away in Shadowland for the next while." I bolt up from my chair, hearing the last thing I expected my father to say come from his mouth.

"You're joking right?" I practically flat out scream at him. "You can't be serious."

"Grayson offered to take my place while I am searching for our Prince"

"You have gone mad," I lay my hands flat against his desk looking him in the eyes, my voice an angry whisper. "You'd rather send our pack to enemy territory, and let that enemy command our pack than let me take over?" I yell, anger seeping deep into my bones.

"It's not that simple, Shira."

"Oh yea?" I ask, "How not?" I spit out, completely taken back by my fathers nonsense.

"Because since the Prince is missing, I have to fulfill my duty as alpha until we find him and only then in front of the prince himself can I resign, and make you alpha."

"Leave your Beta in charge," I urge desperation deep in my voice.

"Erik is still too weak from his attack," he looks down, tired eyes filled with grief. "Shira, you need to trust me on this one, I would never put my pack or you, especially you in dangers arms." But the thing my father didn't understand was that Grayson was dangers first name and his arms were already around me. "Just try to get along with him, and if you can't bring yourself to trust him than fake it. Pretend to trust him, we don't need the pack worrying while they're there, they'll already be confused and scared." So, I think. In other words; keep your pack close but your enemies closer. That might not too difficult to accomplish when your enemy is your mate.

"Okay," I turn away from my father taking a few shaky steps toward the door. I pause.

"We leave in the morning; I've already notified the rest of the pack."

"Just promise me you'll keep me up to date about the prince," I continue to the door but pause at the threshold, looking back at him. "Promise me you'll be careful," I add, closing the door behind me. 

I had a plan, but I would cooperate with my father, I will trust Grayson, then I will burn him. I will hurt him just like his father hurt me and my family. Just like his father hurt the other children and their families. He may be my mate, my other half but he was nothing like me. He is my enemy and will be treated as so. And so that night I packed my belongings and prepared to walk into the heart of enemy territory. And he won't see my plan coming, he'll be blinded by our mating bond, he'll be oblivious to the fact that yes he may be my enemy but I was also his.

Hello :) This is the second upload today! Tomorrow will also be a double upload so keep an eye out!!! Vote and comment if you're Grayson's enemy or his mate? :') And I'll tell you if he's my enemy or mate next chapter ;D -Bree