Chapter ♚ Nine

Here's another awesome cover created by @That-Seahawk-Chick <3 I love all of the covers you guys make! I will definitely try to post one on every chapter <3 - Bree

The Wolf Prince | Chapter Nine

A coward.

A coward that runs away from danger.

A coward that runs away from her own problems.

A coward afraid of her own mate.

Too much of a god damn coward to stand up for herself.

That's exactly who I was. But I was done being that scared little girl; I was done running away from anything that threw an obstacle in my direction.

So when I got back to Grayson's I knew what I had to do, and I was going to do it tonight, before the nerve I had some how mustered up, diminished.

I don't know anything about Grayson's father, other than that he was a very wise and powerful man that turned his back on The Crown and became a monster. So tonight I became determined to do a little research on my real enemy, not my mate but his father. Tonight I decided that Gavin Kade was my enemy and that maybe, just maybe Harley was right and Grayson was just trying to fix up this mess his father left behind for him. But just because I decided that Alpha Grayson Kade wasn't my enemy after all, does not in any way mean I'd completely trust him, at all.

It was late and the glass house was dark as I crept through the halls. This house, it seemed, was only for immediate family members of Grayson, which meant that it was just Harley, Grayson and I that were here. Grayson's family was dead, his mother had died giving birth and his father was murdered by my father, and as far as I knew Grayson was the only child. Or so I thought.

Turning around a corner I bumped into a skinny body, stumbling back a few steps in surprise. "Sorry," I whisper, straining my eyes to see who I bumped into. It was a boy, roughly a year younger than me. He stood tall and thin, his shoulders wide and strong. His hair was a dark chestnut and it sat in a ruffled mess atop his head.

"It's okay," he assured, a crooked smile appearing on his thin lips. "You up for a midnight snack too?" He asks with a chuckle.

"Actually," I pause to think for a moment, an idea formulating in my head. "I was just wondering around looking for a pen and ink, I just got this wicked story idea and I really need to write it down before it slips my mind." I lie.

"Oh, a writer."

"A late night writer." I correct with a smirk. "Inspiration comes at the oddest times, I swear." I add.

"So does hunger apparently," he chuckles under his breath. "Well then, there should be an ink set in my fathers study, I can show you the way." He offers with a laugh.

"Are you" I begin, noticing that his features resemble Grayson's in a way. He beats me to it.

"Yes," he rolls his eyes. "I'm Grayson's younger brother."

"Well Grayson's younger brother," I extend my hand to him, "I'm Shira Cassel." I smile when he takes my hand in a friendly shake.

"I'm Joyce; everybody just calls me Joy." He drops his hand and motions for me to follow him down the long glass hallway.

"Are you the Beta?" I ask. Glancing at him from the corner of my eye, I see a frown tug at the corner of his mouth.

"No," he whispers, his voice growing suddenly quiet on the topic. "I don't think I'd want to be anyway," he admits.