Chapter ♚ Eleven

Good afternoon! Here is the eleventh installment :) Don't forget to comment / vote!! Thank you for all of your support <3

Cover created by: 7Lovte7

The Wolf Prince | Chapter Eleven

The letter drifted from my hands as soon as I read who it was from. My body was paralyzed with grief and as a tear slid down my cheek I didn't bother to wipe it away. My stomach felt uneasy, like I had just been punched in the gut. The sick feeling filled my body to the brim.

My knees gave out from underneath me and I fell to the floor, heaving out a dry sob. I was shaking and sobbing uncontrollably and my heart yearned for the truth even though I knew that what I had just read was no lie. It was nothing but the truth, and sometimes the truth hurt, like a bitch.

"How?" I scream to no one in particular, my forehead pressed hard to the cool floor. I hammer my fisted hand angrily to the floor, screaming out in frustration.

Elisabeth Cassel was my mother, and she had been cheating on my father with Gavin Kade.

My mother and I were never close, apparently I hardly even knew her, and that was something that disturbed me all of my life. I had felt terrible that I didn't have a relationship with my mom; it was a weight holding me down, pulling me like an undertow. Until now, now she felt like nothing but a traitor. She betrayed my father, me and my pack. She was enticed by our enemy, her heart enchanted with love for him. She had an affair with my kidnapper, even though she may not have known it at the time.

I almost felt sympathy for her; maybe she was too blinded by her love to even notice how terrible of a man Gavin was. But that sympathy diminished the moment I thought of how devastated my father must have been. I can't even grasp how she could use him like that, lie to him, and throw him away like she never loved him, like they were never mates.

But I guess my dead mothers affairs with a dead man weren't my concern or even my business. But it still upset me because I care about my father and I know it must have hurt him. Killed him, to discover this.

A sudden rap at my door causes my heart to falter a beat. I push up to my feet and wipe the back of my hands to my tear stained cheeks. I compose myself, steadying my breathing then once composed I open the door.

"Hey," Grayson smiles, pulling at the collar of his shirt nervously.

"Hi," I reply grumpily.

"Can we talk? Just for a bit?" He quickly adds, opening his bedroom door.

"I guess," I mumble, following him into his bedroom. "Where have you disappeared to all day?" I raise a brow and sit across from him on his bed.

"Why did you miss me?" he smirks, and before I can reply he adds, "I've been in Shadowland."

"Oh, were you helping my dad?" I ask.

"No," he says looking down at his fidgeting hands for a moment. "I was at my fathers office in the Palace, I wanted to... Look into a few things." My brows furrow in confusion. Every Alpha in The Crown is granted their own office in the Palace once they pledge alliance, but-

"Why would Gavin's, um, your fathers stuff still be there?" I ask, cutting off my own thoughts.

"I never got around to cleaning it out. It's my office now and I decided it was time to get rid of his stuff." He pauses again. "I found some stuff..." he trails off.

"What stuff?"

"I know what he did to you. I know what he did to all of the children he'd kidnapped." He admits, pulling out a thin folder from his bedside table.

"You mean besides beat us?" I growl, my tongue burning to say nasty things.

"I'm sorry," he looks down, and his shoulders slouch. "He poisoned you," he adds, not daring to look at me.

"Excuse me?" I sand, my heart struck with fear.

"When I had told you that were not technically wolf bound, that we were called Shifters I was being serious." His crimson eyes meet mine again.

"Go on," I urge, anxiously sitting back down.

"In his office I found a recipe for a poison solution he'd been working on for years." He flipped open the file folder and turned it to me.

"Wolf Fire," I read the title of the document, receiving a small nod from Grayson.

"That's what he named his poison."

"Was he trying to kill off all of us? All of the future Alphas?" I ask trying to make sense of it all.

"No, quite the opposite actually," he says and I give him the strangest look. "This poison, the Wolf Fire was designed to transform wolf bound Alphas into unbeatable monsters. He was trying to create an alpha stronger than an alpha wolf bound."

"An Alpha Shifter," I whisper. "He succeeded," I add looking at Grayson's pale face, his handsome features slack with worry.

"Yes, that's why our marks are different, you have an Alpha Shifter mark, and while someone like your father has an Alpha wolf bound mark. We are stronger in every way than the wolf bound."

"But your not a terrible monster," I admit, my heart fluttering. I scooted closer to him and rested my dead on his shoulder, needing to feel his closeness, to trust that he really wasn't a monster like his father.

"My father attempted to make me one," his hand began stroking the back of my head reassuringly. "He poisoned me for years after he dumped you in the forest. He was determined to make me the strongest alpha in the kingdom. But it the Wolf Fire didn't spread in my veins the way he was wanting."

"I'm sorry," I whisper into his shoulder, my hand began stroking lazy circles on his strong bicep.

"Don't be." He kisses the top of my head. "I feel sorry for the one kid he kidnapped; I don't know who he was but I know that my father gave him the highest doses of the poison, higher doses than what mine could ever add up to."

"I don't remember who was all kidnapped with me," I admit.

"Two of the children who were kidnapped still haven't stepped up as Alpha to their packs yet; they might be too young still." He leans his head against mine for a moment, breathing in deeply. "And the other child was Prince Reid's only son."