Chapter ♚ Twenty One

We reached 2K reads <3 Thank you so much <3 let's see if we can reach 200 likes? We're so close and you guys just keep surprising me with your support and it honestly is so encouraging <3 Thank you <3

The Wolf Prince | Chapter Twenty One

Recently I feel like I've been trying to solve all of my issues through hugs.

I know it's not realistic or practical, but in difficult and seemingly impossible situations it's the only thing I can think of to do. It's an impulse really. My hugs typically break loose when I see that someone is upset or in emotional pain, or if I am in that pain.

However this time, I don't think a hug will solve this problem. I don't think a hug will simply make the sadness and the utter disbelief and grief I am experiencing, vanish.

I don't know what the outcome or percussions of all of my current problems will add up to, and I sure as hell don't know where to start solving them. But I do know one thing for sure; I'm at my breaking point.

My head spins and stomach drops as I choke out a gurgling scream. "NO." I yell as tears prickle in my hot eyes. I felt sick, I felt like I had been punched in the gut billion times, and honestly I'd rather that then what I was seeing before me.

"Shira, I found Rosa!" I hear my father yell through my ringing ears as I race across my tent, slamming down on my knees before the crumpled body.

"NO, no, no, no, no." I croak, my limbs becoming weak and shaky. I turn the body over to face me, her beautiful brown hair streaking across her closed eyes. She was still, her small frame curled in a call like she was cowering, but her face was peaceful.

Harley.

"Wake up," I scream, grabbing Har by the shoulders and shaking her. "Please," I beg, as I reach for her neck to feel a pulse. To feel anything. "Please," I repeat, my hands trembling fiercely as I pull her limp, cold body into my arms. "Please. Don't do this. I'm sorry for leaving you, it's my entire fault." I cry to her.

She doesn't move.

She doesn't reply.

She just lay there, lifeless in my trembling arms.

My entire body shakes out deep sobs, my tears blurring the pail face of my best friend. I attempt to move the hair away from her peaceful face, and anxiously continue to look for a pulse even though I know that it was inevitable; there was no pulse to be found, but I was desperate.

I was desperate to have my best friend back, my sister. I was desperate to have something, for once, not be terrible in my life. I was desperate to feel that pulse, to see her open her eyes and stair back at me with a smile. I was desperate to hear her talk about how much she loved Erik and how she planned to have children and an amazing life with him. A life that she deserved.

I wanted her to be okay. I wanted her to just start laughing and tell me this was some sort of fucked up joke. I wanted her to wake up and then help me get ready and dress me up like she always did. I wanted to tell her all of my problems, to tell her everything that was going on.

Now I couldn't.

I heard my father run into the tent and kneel beside me. I peered up at him through blurry eyes, my lips trembling. "W-what did they do to her?" I choke out. My father looks down at Harley with sad eyes. He rests his and on the back of my head, stroking it reassuringly.

"I-I think they poisoned her." He replies, his voice coming out as a shaken whisper as he analyzes her body, looking for any marks but coming up empty handed. "I'm sorry Shira," he adds, his lips twitching in a frown.

I look back down at my best friend whose shirt was completely soaked from my tears. "We need to get her back to Hollowdell," I stand up shakily, attempting to pull Harley up with me but fail, my arms giving out.

"Here, I'll take Harley. I found Rosa conscious in the next tent over, she's capable of walking she just might need a bit of support, you can help her." He picks Har up in his arms and walks out of the tent. "We need to leave before the retched rogues return," he adds, shouting over his shoulder.

The walk back to Hollowdell seemed to take forever.

I couldn't stop the constant tears that trailed down my cheeks and the often sob that choked from my dry throat. I couldn't help but think about Cory. I didn't wonder any longer why someone would resort to committing suicide. I understood it now.

My mind was becoming a reckless pit of tragedies and I was broken, lost in terrible thoughts and images that I kept reliving; Images of Cory hanging from the top of the stairwell, images of my best friend's lifeless body in my trembling arms.

The pain I felt was unbearable. I knew that Cory must have felt something like this before he decided to do what he did. I knew he was just trying to escape what was causing him pain. Suicide was no selfish act. It was in his mind, the only option to make everything go away, to escape the terrible reality he must have been living, to escape the constant feeling of being a burden to everybody, to escape the feeling of being useless.

To escape the pain.

When you hit rock bottom, and can't resurface where do you go? Where do you run to?

So what was my escape?

Really short chapter but I didn't really know how to make it longer. I feel like this book has gotten really depressing and dark quick. Is this bad? :'O

Let me know if I can fix anything in this chapter or make it better in any way :) or if I didn't properly convey something.

I would love your suggestions.

It's LATE (4:01 AM) so I'm going to bed now :')

Thank you again <3 Bree