~ January ~

Realtor: ...and there's also a spare room, which can be used as an office or a guest room. Ms. Davis? Are you listening to what I'm saying?

C: Yes, sorry. Guest room. Let's go have a look.

The realtor opened another door and I sighed involuntarily.

R: Yes, I know. This room is rather small.

C: It's okay, I can work with it.

R: So you're considering the object?

I didn't exactly, but it was better than living in a hotel. Yes, even better than my hotel room at The Ritz-Carlton.

C: Actually I do. The location is perfect.

R: Would you like to rent it? The documents I have here say you'd like to rent an apartment rather than buy it.

C: That's correct. I'd like to rent.

R: Of course. Let me finish the paperwork and you can move in next week.

C: Great, thanks a lot.

The truth was this place was too expensive for being so small. But since I didn't have the extra cash to buy furniture I figured it was a good deal seeing as it was already furnished.

I stood by the large windows facing the streets of Downtown Los Angeles. We were on the 19th floor and I hoped the noise wouldn't be so bad up here. I sighed again. I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing, but I knew I needed a place to stay. It sure looked like I would be staying here for a while so why not make myself comfortable?

Realtor: I send a fax to the real estate agency. You should be able to move in by Thursday. You can come by the agency and we can drive here together. The keys will be handed over by the bulding owner.

C: Awesome. Thanks again.

R: I'll see you on Thursday. Have a good day.

C: You, too. Bye.

I stepped out in the mild January weather and contemplated what to do next. I didn't want to go back to the hotel, but I had nowhere else to go to.

Grrr, I already hate this city.

I never liked being in Los Angeles. The lack of cold weather and snow. The shallow people. Everything seemed so fake here, so put-on.

I sighed again. I had to change my mind if I wanted to stay here. I had to slowly fit in. No, there was no way I could ever return back to London. But I wanted to. I wanted to so desperately.

No! London is not an option. I have to burn all the bridges. It's the best thing to do.

Bridget came to mind. We had a great bond, despite the recent fights. She forgave me and we came closer again. I missed her a lot. I felt like she was the only person I could talk to. That everyone else would be avoiding me.

Even Eleanor?

Yes. Although I figured Louis might be the one to give her an ultimatum. And it's understandable she would choose her boyfriend over some girl who causes nothing but trouble.

That's what I was. A girl who caused trouble.

I giggled to myself. I've been called trouble before. I always took it as a compliment. Until I realized it wasn't meant as such. No, I was trouble. I caused havoc. Broke people's hearts and made them miserable. That's who I was. And that's why I had to keep my distance.