~ July ~

Hey Bri, it's me, Chloe.

Hey. Why can't I see your number in my display?

Oh, I've got some issues with my phone.

Stupid technology!

Yeah. Listen, where are you right now?

At home. Why?

Just asking. I gotta go. Talk to you soon. Bye.

Bye.

Bridget shook her head and furrowed her eyebrows. Chloe was acting strange lately. Stranger than usual. She was sure her cousin was up to something.

S: Why that face?

B: I just got a call from Chloe. Actually it's the second call I'm getting with her number withheld and both times she asked me where I was.

S: What do you mean? Like your exact location?

B: Sure felt that way.

S: Okay.

B: I have a bad feeling about this. Bad things happen whenever Chloe acts weird. But I'm not jumping to conclusions anymore.

S: Speaking of. What did you say her boyfriend's name was again?

B: Derek. Why?

S: And he's an artist?

B: He paints pictures as far as I know. Why are you asking me all of this?

S: Don't freak out, it may not even mean anything but...

Sam handed Bridget a leaflet. On it Bridget read about a new art exhibition in London of the well-known LA based artist Derek Holmes.

B: I'll be damned.

S: Maybe this is all just a big concincidence.

B: No, no. She called here twice and asked where I was. She didn't really need to know where I was, she called the house phone. I picked it up, which means I'm home. OMG! She checked to see if I'm home. She's here. Yes, she's here. And she wants to see me.

S: Oh God...

B: No, no. It makes total sense now.

S: But if she already called you twice, don't you think she would come see you if she was around? Think about it. Just because her boyfriend's here doesn't mean she's here too. You told me she's got a job in LA. She couldn't possibly leave the city just like that.

B: You're right.

S: Thank you.

B: But we should go to that exhibition anyway. Snoop around a little bit.

S: No.

B: Why not? He doesn't know who I am.

S: No.

B: Bu-

Their conversation got interrupted by yet another call. This time Bridget didn't bother checking for a caller ID.

I need to talk to you.

Chloe?