Nine.

They arrived upon the chess board in a hurry, skidding to a halt alongside the white queen and her trusted steed as they stared into the eyes of their enemies. Madeline jumped down from the Bandersnatch and watched the white Queens every move as she moved to try and persuade the red Queen to avoid this war.

The words were hushed and quiet for awhile until they all noticed red rush to the red queens pale, massive head and she screamed out.

"I DESERVE THAT CROWN! I AM THE OLDEST, JABBERWOCKY!" 

Shifting and cracks were heard from not that far behind the red army and in a rush, a massive black dragon shot into the sky and made its way through the parted army.

"Where's your champion?" The red queen questioned smugly and that way Madeleine's cue as she advanced forward.

Chess discreetly moved from her hat to Nivens side as Madeline tipped her hat up and flashed a large grin. Holding her hand out, in her grasp flashed her blade...the Vorpal blade.

"So we meet again, my arch enemy" the Dragon that was the JabberWocky growled, referring to the blade Madeline grasped.

A giggle just left her lips before the creature pushed forward and aimed one of its claws at her, she clumsily dodged and soon found her face flat in the floor from tripping over a pebble.

"Oh, we're doomed" Natasha stated and the others just face palmed as Madeline shakily stood and grasped at her weapon once more.

"I'm not that bad!" Madeline called back at Natasha, accurately dodging the Jabberwocky this time and slicing his tongue of as he hissed.

A hum formed at her throat before she giggled once more, laughing in delight as the now useless muscle squirmed to a stop on the floor. The dragon roared in rage and Madeline dropped to the floor and slid underneath it as he lunged for her once more.

"I'm getting bored of this, I want a fight. Hulk...smash!" Stark called the green range monster smirk before lunging at the red card soldier, ensuing the war to properly begin.

Hatter had not time to pay attention to what was going on around her as she frantically ran away from the dragon. Sprinting up some cobble stairs that were now in ruins, she made a close call as the creature swiped at her and she found herself hanging of the edge and over and large drop from the stairs.  Scrambling her way up, she sprained up the rest of the stairs until she stood at the top, having just a moment to scan the battleground beneath her.

Hulk seemed to be having way to much smashing away at anything red in his sight, Natasha and Clint stood back to back taking out any red soldier that advanced, Thor and Steve running wherever they could and taking out any opponent they could and finally Stark handling work up from the top.

Madeline looked for too long though and she was pushed from her perch, smacking her temple pretty hard of a rock and feeling warm, red liquid slip down her jawline. Hissing in pain, she trudged her way bay back up to the perch and swung out her sword against the Jabberwocky, the creature almost seeming to tease her as he flew about.

He edged closer, making her take hesitant steps back and when she hit the edge, she went tumbling back once more. However, mid fall, everything seemed to slow as the beats mouth wrapped around her left arm and he chopped off the bottom half of her arm.

The shrieks that left her throat shook the whole battlefield and even the red Queen flinched as they watched Madeline rise from the ground after catching herself one handed. The Jabberwocky began to fly away but in a flurry of anger, she leaped onto its back and raised her right arm up high, ignoring the loss of her left arm.

"Off with your head!" She shrilled with a maniacal cackled before drawing the Vorpal blade down and chopping its head clean off.

She dropped back onto the stairs with a strained grin, watching as the monstrosity heads rolled down the cobble steps and stoped right before the horrified Red Queen. The fighting stopped and Red watched in fear as her crown lifted from her head and sifted to a silver one that was placed atop of the white Queens head, curtesy of Cheshire.

The red soldier one by one then began to drop their weapons and spears, no longer abiding by the red Queens rules as she was sentenced to banishment whilst Hatter painfully made her way down the stairs.
Red screamed profanities but the white queen didn't listen as cuffs wrapped around her wrists and the red soldiers dragged her away.

Madeline took her hat as her blade disappeared, making her way over to the injured but living team of heroes.

"I thank you, Avengers, but now you should be getting home" Madeline said graciously as Nivens quickly wrapped what remained of her left arm in a handkerchief to stop the bleeding before they went back to the castle.

"What about you? Hatter...you can't just leave us..." Steve breathed, and she just smiled up at him before spinning her hat on the ground and opening up the rabbit hole that would send them home.

"Hatter?" Natasha questioned, not believing that they may never see her again with the way things were going.

"My home needs repairing and fixing, I can't leave it" she breathed, placing her right hand atop of the Bandersnatch as her home friends gathered beside her.

The Avengers looks down as to conceal their sadness but Madeline then said something that raised their hopes.

"I won't say goodbye, so I will say see you soon...for now"

And they jumped through, the rabbit hole slowly closing and there not being a single trace of them ever being there besides the remains of war.

She never did get to correct them though did she? It was never Wonderland, it was always Underland, maybe that was an excuse for a trip.

One day.