Platinum Promises

Hello beautiful people,

I am so sorry for taking so long to update this story, I know you've all been waiting. I was trying to figure out whether I wanted to finish the story or not and I've decided to continue. This chapter takes place about 3 weeks after the last chapter and is just an overview of how both girls are coping since everything went down. The next chapters will work in everyone's favor and though you should expect a happy ending you should also expect a slow burn towards it. Thank you so much for the support on this story so far and I hope this new chapter will be one that you all like.

Enjoy!

XXXXXXXXXXX

Normani fought heartbreak for three weeks after her and Lauren broke up. There were four stages to her misery: denial, depression, desperation, and finally anger.

Denial had been first. She'd spent the first couple of days after talking with Lauren in disbelief. She convinced herself that Lauren had just been afraid and so she'd decided to jump to the easiest conclusion, to break up. Normani didn't actually believe that Lauren would be able to commit to it and so she waited by the phone, ready to talk it out and take her back. She never heard from her though and initially she'd been shocked but after the week came and went she'd gotten used to not seeing notifications on her phone from Lauren.

After basically staring at her phone and willing it to ring for almost all of Sunday, she'd finally accepted that things really were over and had slipped into a state of depression by Monday. It wasn't a crippling sort of depression, one where you're so down you can't even continue living like everything's normal. Normani knew she had too much riding on her success at Julliard to allow this setback to stop her from thriving. The world didn't stop spinning even if hers had and she wasn't going to let anyone take the spot she'd earned away from her. She treated her classes like distractions, once again immersing herself in the things going on around her, and going extra hard in dance rehearsals, all with a heavy heart. It wasn't until the night time when she was alone and there was nothing to do but to think about the hurt that she struggled with trying to keep it together. She felt everything, all of it bad, and couldn't quiet the negative thoughts bouncing off of the walls in her jumbled mind. The "It's me" and "I'm not good enough" voices rang loudly in her ears as she desperately tried to get to sleep. She was able to conceal the pain when the sun was up but after another week or so the night had carved a hole inside of her, making her hollow and leaving her with an aching in her body that craved to be filled again.

Desperation had come along to join depression by way of trigger. She'd tried with all of her to avoid Lauren at every cost and it had been easy at first. The distance, the reason they were in this mess in the first place, had played a hand in keeping Normani sane. For once she was grateful that she didn't ever have to see the girl with the green eyes again. She could never forget about Lauren but she was damn sure going to try to convince herself that she had. She never would've thought that Dinah would've been the one to pull the trigger that felt like an actual shot in the chest. It was a harmless photo, a candid moment with a caption that read "Study time w/ my LoLo." Harmless. But it was the actual picture that brought that thirsting for Lauren that Normani had always had back up to the surface from where she had buried it. She was breathtaking, she literally took Normani's breath away. She could smell her honey scented shampoo again, feel the ghost of her glossy black tendrils as she fake ran her hand through the girls hair, feel her warm lips against her own once again as if they were both back in her dorm room at Southern. Lauren was Normani's physical representation of Lucifer, falling from grace and becoming the devil but no one ever said the devil wasn't captivating. She didn't know why she'd expected to look at Lauren differently after she ended things with them, as if karma would come along and strip away every beautiful thing about her in order to justify the crime she'd committed against Normani's heart. Of course she was still gorgeous and the hold that she'd hoped had died with them that night was still there and it seemed to be stronger. She suddenly wanted to feel her again, hear her voice, tell her that she never stopped loving her. She made the catastrophic decision to accept the fact that she wasn't and probably never would be over Lauren. She'd thought it was what she needed to be better, Lauren was what she needed to be better. Since she could finally accept that it was actually Lauren visiting her in her dreams when she did sleep and not just some blurry lookalike, Normani called it fate.