Chapter 16: Havoc

Song: Harder to Breathe by Maroon 5

Chaos started to break out at the ball after everyone read the message on the wall. Kingsley and some aurors escorted everyone out of the building. Hermione stayed behind with Ginny at one of the tables, she was an absolute train wreck.

Ginny's eyes were red and puffy, tears were spilling out of her pretty brown eyes, "I-I don't know what I'm gonna do Mione'...  We h-have to find him."

Hermione hugged her friend to reassure her, "Everything is going to be fine, Ginny. We'll find him."

Hermione eyed Draco from the other side of the room. He was asked to stay behind since he saw the cloaked figure. He was standing alone with his hands in his pockets, bouncing on the balls of his feet. He looked bored.

The brunette pulled away form her friend, "Do you want to spend the night at my place tonight? I don't want you spending the night alone tonight."

"Of course," Answered Ginny as she wiped away her smeared Mascara.

Hermione grabbed Ginny's arm and apparated out of there. When they appeared back at the apartment they found Luna sitting on the couch with Theo.

"Where have you two been? I've been so worried." Said Luna, standing up and walking over to her two friends.

"The ball," Answered Hermione, "I told Ginny that she could spend the night here tonight. She can take my bed. I'll be back in a little while, I have to go back down there. Kingsley wants all of the aurors down there to investigate."

"I can sleep on the couch, Mione, I don't mind," Said Ginny with a sniffle.

"You're the guest, Ginny...You can borrow some of my pajamas too, they're in the top drawer of my dresser." Said Hermione, tugging on her dress, getting ready to apparate.

"Thanks, Mione', you're the best," Thanked Ginny.

* * * *

When Hermione arrived back at where the ball was held, Kingsley and several Aurors were gathered around something in a circle. As she walked over to them, she realized all of them were crowed around a body. And when she got even closer, she gasped when she saw that the body was none other than Ernie MacMillan.

"The blood on the wall was Ernie's," Said Alice, as she put her face in her hands, "We tested it a minute ago."

Hermione looked down at her now deceased friend solemnly, "He was in my year you know. A Hufflepuff."

Alice turned to someone Hermione didn't know, "Take the body to the morgue at St.Mungo's. We need to run some tests."

The man nodded and used his wand to levitate the body and put it on a stretcher.

Everyone in the room was still wearing their formal evening wear. It was weird for Hermione to see her colleagues wearing something other than their Auror uniform. They looked like they belonged in an old muggle murder mystery movie.

Alice was strictly business right now, she yelled at Draco from across the room, "Blondie! Over here!"

Draco slowly started walking towards the crime scene. Taking his sweet time. Hermione had to resist the urge to roll her eyes.

"Walk quicker, Blondie, I don't have all night," Snapped Alice.

Draco slowed his pace even more just to get on Alice's nerves.

When Draco reached Alice, she spoke, "Can you tell me one more time about what you saw?I need to get a recording."

Draco once again told her what he saw go down. He looked tired and ready to change back into some casual clothes.