Chapter 24: The Proposal

Song: Here In My Arms by Leon Bridges

"Don't you already have enough books?" Asked Ginny with a sigh.

A new book shop had opened up in Diagon Alley and Hermione wanted to check it out. Ginny came along and she was bored out of her mind. The only reason she agreed to go was because Hermione promised she'd go to the new boutique with her. 

"No, but this will have to do." Said Hermione as she walked out of the store with her new books in hand.

"I'm ready for lunch... where is Pansy supposed to be meeting us?" Questioned Ginny, she held onto the bag that held the clothes she got at the boutique.

"Diagon Dining." Answered Hermione.

They made there way through the crowded street. Pansy was standing near the entrance of the restaurant waiting on them. Inside the busy restaurant they found a table and sat down.

Pansy seemed livelier than normal, she was bouncing around like a little ball of sunshine. Hermione took notice of her strange behavior and questioned it, "What are you so happy about?"

"Well, it might have something to do with this," Pansy put left hand out and showcased her new ring, a smile spread across her face, "Blaise proposed last night."

Ginny grabbed Pansy's hand and studied her engagement ring, "Now that's what I call a rock."

Hermione was pleasantly surprised when she saw the ring on Pansy's finger, "Oh, Pansy, that's wonderful," she paused for a moment, "how did he ask you?"

Pansy sat up in her chair, "Yesterday was our one year anniversary so we went out to dinner at a nice restaurant and went to see a play. At some point last night while I was sleeping he slipped the ring on my finger without me noticing. When I woke up I saw it, and started freaking out. He wasn't in the bed so I ran into the kitchen and..." She paused and smiled, reflecting back on the memory, "You won't believe this Hermione, He made breakfast for the two of us and it wasn't burnt. I explained to him how I had woken up with a ring on that I'd never seen before. As I was going on and on about the ring I had woken up wearing, and the unburnt breakfast, he got down on one knee and took my hand." Pansy stopped talking and smiled down at her menu once more, "He asked me to marry him. It was so romantic... well at least it was until Draco came staggering into the kitchen half asleep."

"I'm so happy for you, Pansy." Said Hermione as her thoughts drifted to Draco and why he was probably so tired. They had stayed out until three- thirty in the morning walking around the city talking.

Ginny picked up her menu and scanned over it, "You know how Harry proposed to me? We got in a fight and he threw the ring at me and yelled 'dadgummit, I wanna marry you Ginny Weasley!'"

"I don't see anything wrong with that. That actually sounds really sweet." Observed Pansy.

"I was engaged once," Said Hermione slowly, glassy eyed.

"What?" Asked Pansy and Ginny turning to look at Hermione unfazed.

"I'm kidding."

Before Ginny had the opportunity to say anything the waitress came and took their order.

"I was about to say," Started Ginny once the waitress left, "if you were ever engaged I would've known about it, considering that the only person you've ever really dated was my brother." She paused. "Well, you did briefly date Viktor Krum in your fourth year."

Hermione looked up at Ginny, annoyed, "Geez, Ginny, thanks for keeping me posted on my love life."

"Don't worry, Hermione, you'll find someone someday. Maybe the lucky guy will be someone who lives across the hall from you and it isn't her fiancé. Besides the two of you did kiss."